Position: Director of Communications
Posting Closed: October 24, 2018, or until filled
Start Date: Negotiable
About the AFL
For more than 100 years, unions all over Alberta have worked together under the umbrella of the Alberta Federation of Labour.
The AFL currently has 28 member unions representing more than 170,000 workers in a wide range of occupations all over the province.
Through research, advocacy, lobbying and direct action, the Federation has improved working conditions, protected human rights, and helped make Alberta a better place to live, work, and play.
The position of Director of Communications core responsibilities include communication, public relations and campaign development. The director of communications will assist in the planning and implementation of communication materials and strategies that support the AFL’s strategic objectives.
We are looking for someone who can think critically and strategically and can function both independently and as part of a team. Ideal candidates have the following skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in the labour movement;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment;
- High competency in a project and issue communications and media relations;
- Familiarity with story research and writing, editing, photography and video production management;
- Ability to produce news releases, publications and various promotional materials;
- Excellent skills at producing content and managing content on various social media platforms.
- Ability to work well with a broad range of people and entities;
- Motivation and drive to excel in this position;
The Director of Communications will report to the President, serve as a member of our executive staff and interact with our affiliate unions and partners.
Requirements and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and several years’ experience in communications, or have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. A commitment to the goals and objectives of the trade union movement is essential and must be demonstrated.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a member of Unifor 445. A competitive salary and benefits are attached pursuant to the collective agreement.
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter and the names of references to:
Alberta Federation of Labour Human Resources Committee
C/o Siobhán Vipond, Secretary Treasurer
Subject: HR: Director of Communications Job Application
Note: Only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
The AFL is committed to considering applicants who identify as part of an equity group including workers of colour, aboriginal workers, LGBT workers, woman workers, young workers and workers with disabilities. We encourage members within an equity group, experienced activists, organizers, labour representatives, directors, researchers and educators of all backgrounds, to apply.
When applying for this position, please mention that you saw the job posting at the CALM Job Board.