Rules and Guidelines
The CALM Awards are for members of the Canadian Association of Labour Media (who have paid membership fees for 2021). The awards honour excellence in the print, broadcast, online and graphics arts fields for material produced in 2020. You can join CALM at any time if you’d like to make a submission to the awards contest. To confirm your union’s membership status with us, please contact email@example.com.
The deadline is Thursday, April 1, midnight local time.
Several of the awards are split into two categories: staff or volunteer. Items produced by union communications staff or outside professionals are in the same category (staff produced). The other category is for volunteers (that includes those who get a few hours’ time paid by the local). Judges reserve the right to move entries from one category to the other.
There is no fee to enter the awards. All CALM members have the right to enter any number of categories.
You may submit online or by sending a link to a Cloud folder (Google docs, WeTransfer, Dropbox etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also enter the CALM Awards through the mail. If you are submitting paper copies, please remember to clearly label each entry. DO NOT SUBMIT ENTRIES TWICE (I.E. online and by mail). If you would like, you can submit your entry partly online and partly through the mail. Due to the proximity to a Canada Post counter, we prefer that packages are sent via Canada Post.
Email email@example.com or call 647-428-8028
The following rules apply for 2021 CALM awards for work done in 2020.
The awards will be announced will be announced in June, details TBD. If your entry does not conform to these rules, it may not be considered.
1. The awards are strictly for original material published or produced in 2020.
2. They are open only to CALM members who have paid 2021 membership dues. Membership dues can be submitted at the time of the awards application.
3. Some categories are sub-divided into various classifications. Awards will not necessarily be given in all categories or classifications, depending on the number and merit of the entries. You may only submit up to two entries per category, unless otherwise stated.
4. There will be five independent judges in the five categories: print, broadcast, online, graphic design and French writing.
5. You must provide one sample for each award category you enter. If you enter something into multiple categories, your entry must include multiple samples. Each mail-in sample must be identified with the name of the union local, the person submitting the award, the name of the person or persons who created the material, and the award category.
6. It is expected that entries be union-made, provided that union printers, producers, technicians and reproduction facilities are available to the entrant.
7. The authority to determine the appropriate award classification for each entry rests with CALM and will be based on the information provided on the attached entry form and CALM’s membership records.
8. To be eligible, submissions must be received through the online submission form or at the address above no later than April 1, 2021. Winning entries will be posted on the CALM website and announced on social media.
9. Several categories are open to English and French submissions. Read the categories closely to ensure that you submit your award to the right category, and in the right language, if applicable. All categories are open to both languages, unless otherwise noted.