The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) represents over 54,000 workers who work for post offices, call centres, and courier companies all across Canada and Quebec. The Union has a strong focus on human rights, social justice, international solidarity and political activism. For more information about CUPW, please see our website at www.cupw-sttp.org.
CUPW seeks a bilingual ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT to work for the National Office. The main task assigned to this “floater” position will be the Article 8 files under the direction of the National Secretary-Treasurer. This permanent position will come into effect as soon as possible.
- provide administrative support to representatives of the employer and various committees as may be convened from time to time;
- utilize e-mail and Internet to perform required functions;
- prepare materials for internet posting;
- establish and maintain files and mailing lists;
- prepare and distribute printed materials in the appropriate language from hand-written notes using a computer;
- prepare printed materials in the required quantities for various functions and meetings of the employer;
- enter data into the computer;
- research and retrieve information contained in files as requested by the employer;
- receive incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail;
- take and transcribe notes in the appropriate language taken in dictation sessions or at meetings, conferences, conventions, etc.;
- operate electronic equipment such as personal computers, printers, photocopiers and fax machines;
- format and file draft material given to him/her by others in a computerized form;
- check documents for accuracy in grammar, spelling, punctuation and format;
- compose correspondence and memos in the appropriate language for signature by representatives of the employer and verify that all relevant enclosures or attachments are located and forwarded with correspondence;
- organize appointments and meetings, making appropriate travel arrangements, room reservations and arranging all other services required for a successful meeting;
- review contracts required for meetings, conferences and conventions;
- liaise with service providers on behalf of the employer;
- provide assistance to officers and/or other staff members on an as required basis;
- work co-operatively with other departments to ensure the efficient operation of the organization;
- staff reception desk and answer telephone;
- respond to general telephone inquiries;
- all other related duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite 2010. Accuracy in grammar, spelling and punctuation are a must.
- Ability to speak and write in both official languages.
- Preference will be given to those candidates with an Office Administration course – Administrative Assistant.
Salary, Benefits and Hours of Work
Salary and benefits are according to the COPE 225/CUPW Collective Agreement. Working hours will be Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 8:30h to 17:00h, and a regular day off on Wednesday. The salary is $33.22/hour with a comprehensive, employer-paid benefit package which includes parking.
All applications and curriculum vitae must be received by 17:00h on October 31, 2019.
Only those candidates considered will be contacted. To apply, click through the Charity Village posting: https://charityvillage.com/app/job-listings/dcc010c0-37ec-e911-80dc-14187768272a?search=true&utm_campaign=google_jobs_apply&utm_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic