Position Type: Part Time, Term Position
Hourly Wage: $22/hr
Workplace Location: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4L8
About CUPE 3906:
CUPE 3906 is the trade union representing close to 3,000 part-time, contract academic workers and post-doctoral fellows at McMaster University (Teaching Assistants, Sessional Faculty, and Postdoctoral Fellows). We are looking for someone willing to commit to a democratic union culture, work with our diverse membership while working under the direction of, and in close collaboration with, an annually elected Executive Committee.
Role of the Administrative Assistant:
The Administrative Coordinator will work with the Executive Committee. The primary role will be the administration and processing of benefits. This includes processing claims, answering member inquiries, and preparing annual reports on benefits. They will also be responsible for Job Postings administration, including checking over all postings that come in from the University to ensure they are in line with the Collective Agreements. They will also be partly responsible under the direction of the Staff Supervisors for ensuring the day-to-day functioning of the 3906 office.
● Experience in administration and processing of benefits claims
● Experience in preparing financial reports
● Ability to work cooperatively with many different people
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Demonstrated ability to work both collectively and independently
● Office administration (within a unionized environment is preferable)
● Ability to prioritize tasks while under pressure
● Strong attention to detail
● Strong organizational skills
● Strong membership servicing skills
● Familiarity with MS office, excel, wordpress websites
● Knowledge of union structure, particularly CUPE
● Familiarity with Collective Agreement and Collective Bargaining Language and Processes
CUPE 3906 is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals without discrimination. CUPE 3906 is a unionized employer with a competitive salary and benefit package. This position pays $22/hr. Hours of work are 35 hours per week.
This term position is a unionized position according to the terms of the CUPE 3906 and CUPE 1281 Collective Agreement.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.