Summary of Duties:
The duties assigned to this position are of moderate to high complexity, routine in nature and varies according to the details of tasks performed. Specific tasks typically are related to the various sections within the Union. The work requires original thought in deciding courses of action as well as skill in performance. Good judgment in making decisions in accordance with established AUPE policies and procedures is required. Employees are expected to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Grade 12 Diploma.
- Completion of an office administration equivalent program with diploma would be an asset.
- Knowledge of common office procedures.
- Advanced computer skills (Macintosh preferred) and Microsoft software.
- Previous: Three (3) years experience in a secretarial environment performing secretarial duties.
- On the Job: Nine (9) months on the job to become familiar with the office equipment, procedures, computer system, related programs/software, and AUPE policies and procedures.
- Interacts with members in person and on the phone providing necessary information and assistance as required.
- May be required to register members for courses and/or conferences and maintains registration logs for such courses and conferences.
- Process RTP’s as required.
- Receive and process invoices from professional, legal and administrative organizations.
- Maintain schedules and book meeting rooms, equipment, meals, accommodations, etc.
- May be required to deal with vendors when ordering job related services.
- Create and/or maintain, update, perform searches, retrieve information and generate reports from various databases as necessary.
- May be required to organize and prepare Hearing, Committee, and/or Negotiations Binders.
- May be required to prepare packages for the purpose of ratification votes, annual general meetings, etc.
- Provide telephone reception.
- Processes both incoming and outgoing mail.
- Photocopies as required.
- Faxes as required.
- May be required to maintain filing systems (electronic and/or in hard copy), updates to procedure manuals, members directories, etc.
- Ordering of supplies and efficient running of the assigned area.
- May be required to keep and maintain a petty cash fund.
- May be required to maintain the AUPE library (Headquarters or Regional) updating various periodicals and materials while monitoring the utilization of resources by staff.
- Provide secretarial support services in a labour relations setting to Membership Services Officers and/or Union Representatives.
- Typing of correspondence, letters/applications for referral to arbitration or the Labour Board, policy grievances, news releases, minutes, reports, summaries, bargaining proposals, educational courses and other documents related to labour relations matters.
- Maybe required to edit, format and proofread documents in preparation for signatures and printing.
- May be required to create, format and edit materials such as posters, notices, forms, presentations, tables, etc.
- May be required to take minutes.
- May be required to compose general correspondence.
- Initiate member time off forms, expense claims and a variety of other internal forms.
- Enter information in the Grievance/Arbitration Database and perform other support services as assigned.
- Provide information on union policies and activities, in the absence of other labour relations staff.
- May be required to provide training to new or temporary secretarial staff.
C. Other Skills/Abilities
- Ability to work against specific deadlines and be able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to independently organize and accurately complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities.
- The incumbent must possess a pleasant manner and strong interpersonal skills, as on occasion may be required to work with members or other staff in stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationship with the membership, the public and other employees.
- Ability to work cohesively in a team environment is essential.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work assignments that may be inherent to the job.
Any revisions of the document must be approved by the Executive Director. Validating Signature:
Dated this day__________________ of ___________________, 2019