Articling Student [10 Month Contract]
The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation is seeking the services of an individual to serve as Articling Student starting August, 2021. This is a unionized position.
PART 1 – POSITION SUMMARY
The OSSTF/FEESO legal department specializes in education labour law on behalf of 60,000 English and French education workers who are employees of school boards, universities and other educational institutions in Ontario. Articling work would involve litigation and legal support in the areas of: Grievance Arbitration, Professional Regulatory complaints, Labour Board matters, Human Rights, Employment Standards, Workers' Safety and Insurance, Long Term Disability, Occupational Health and Safety, Civil Litigation, Pensions and Collective Bargaining. OSSTF encourages applications from students with a demonstrated interest in union side labour law.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
• Draft legal submissions, administrative tribunal applications and responses, as well as pleadings and facta.
• Interview witnesses and grievors.
• Regularly accompany our lawyers to hearings before administrative tribunals and courts.
• Conduct legal research.
• Appear at grievance arbitrations and before various administrative tribunals.
PART II – POSITION REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
• Academic achievement and a demonstrated interest in union-side labour law.
• Students who demonstrate initiative and self-reliance.
• Ability to communicate in a sensitive and courteous manner with members, office staff, stakeholders and general public.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and to work under pressure while effectively managing multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities.
• Understanding of and commitment to confidentiality.
• Bilingualism (English & French) would be considered an asset.
SALARY, BENEFITS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Excellent compensation for this ten (10) month contract as an Articling Student with additional benefits.
Please submit your covering letter, undergraduate and law school transcripts and résumé by 5:00 p.m., Friday, July 5, 2019 to:
Pierre Côté, General Secretary
c/o Paula Yan-Blondell
Human Resources Administrator
Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation
60 Mobile Drive, Toronto, ON, M4A 2P3
Marked “Personal and Confidential”
Fax: (416) 981-7808
Please quote “articling student” in the subject line.
Your application will be reviewed and we will select candidates to call
for interviews on Friday, July 19, 2019.
Interviews will be conducted on Monday, August 12, 2019.
OSSTF/FEESO is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our members and our communities. We actively seek qualified individuals with demonstrated skill and knowledge to deal with all aspects of diversity. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), OSSTF/FEESO strives to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free. If you require an accommodation, please advise the Recruitment Team in advance of attending the interview.
OSSTF/FEESO values the participation of members with different voices from lived experiences. We recognize that the selection of candidates for federation positions from members of equity seeking groups is an asset. Self-identification of membership in equity seeking group(s) is voluntary. If you choose to self-identify, please let us know any that apply to you:
o Racialized Person
o FNMI (First Nations, Métis, Inuit)
o Person with a Disability
Friday, July 5, 2019 - 16:45
Please indicate on your cover letter that you saw this job posting at the CALM Job Board.