Reporting to the President of ATU Canada, the successful candidate will develop effective internal and external communication strategies, ensuring consistent use of key messages across a range of activities, tailoring messages toward specific audiences, including union members; all levels of government; the media; community groups; and the general public. This role requires an experienced communicator with excellent writing and creative skills to develop content and messaging that engages the target audience. Within this role, the candidate will also focus on building media relations to increase media response and exposure for ATU Canada. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the President and Organizers to support all projects and initiatives.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Develop targeted internal and external communications plans that effectively engage audiences and are aligned with industry best practices
- Work with team members to ensure campaigns/plans are moving forward on time and are addressing the needs of stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with President and Organizers to support all initiatives.
- Provide expert communications advice and recommendations to President and team
- Advise on public affairs, media relations, issues management and communications plans
- Create content and messages that align with the goals of ATU Canada, ensuring consistent use of key messages across a range of activities and branded materials - working across all platforms and channels, including web, print, promotional, and social.
- Write press releases and statements, media pitches, correspondence, speaking notes, video scripts, materials for conferences, print collateral, and web pages.
- Create design files in digital format for use on printed materials, website, and social media.
- Build and maintain solid relationships with members of the media, primarily those who cover public transit and government.
- Proactively work to increase media exposure for ATU Canada by developing creative pitch angles and story ideas.
- Respond to media enquiries, supply key messages and arrange for ATU representatives to be interviewed.
- Monitor the media, including social media for coverage or issues related to ATU Canada, the transit industry and government.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bilingual (English and French) required
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in communications or media relations.
- University degree or certificate in communications, public relations or journalism.
- Advanced communication skills – written and verbal
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to write compelling press releases and statements
- Content development and creative messaging
- Graphic Design skills in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Web management and editing
- Event management
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Union experience and knowledge an asset
- Knowledge of labour relations
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, efficiently managing several projects at once, and meeting strict deadlines.
- Ability to work outside of normal work hours as required including evenings and weekends.
Candidates can apply to email@example.com
Application deadline is October 22, 2020