The Association of Part-Time Professors of the University of Ottawa (APTPUO) invites applications for the position of Communication and membership service officer (C&M Officer). APTPUO is the Certified Bargaining Agent for 2500 members who are contractual teaching staff for the University of Ottawa.
We currently have an opening for a self-motivated, highly organized and capable individual to work as Communications and membership service Officer (Full Time Regular) within our team.
In this role, the successful applicant will work closely with the Administrative Director of the APTPUO and the Board of directors to develop effective and persuasive communications to internal and external stakeholders. The C&M Officer will also provide front-line support services to the membership.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The C&M Officer plays a key role in the development and execution of the union’s communication strategies and public relations activities, both external and internal. The ideal candidate will have strategic, creative, and analytical skills with sound political judgment and superior communication skills in both English and French. She / he will engage in or manage a number of different projects at one time.
- Coordinate the publication of bulletins: writing, editing and page design of APTPUO’s internal communications in both of Canada’s official languages.
- Develop talking points for Executive members, presentations, media releases and social media posts that represent the official positions of APTPUO.
Public & Media relations
- Maintain an up to date list of media contacts in both French and English media. Understand the differences between the media outlets and develop a media communications strategy or strategies.
- Create strategic messages to best frame the union’s issues in the mass media, bulletins and social media.
- Monitor the media and keep both staff and Executive informed of issues and news related to higher education, academic labour issues, student issues and other relevant current events.
Graphic design and website management
- Design simple print leaflets and posters for internal communications.
- Maintain the union’s website including planning, writing and updating web pages, working with other staff and Board members to produce web content and liaising with web developers when substantial updates are required.
- Maintain a presence on social media sites in order to increase the overall reach of our communications. Additionally, monitor emerging social media tools to see how they can be incorporated into current and future communications strategies.
- Organize and attend occasional events.
- Promote events.
- Provide information to the members regarding their benefits.
- Refer members to appropriate resources.
- Attend and present at union functions as required.
- Participate and organize meetings of the various internal committees of the association.
- Manage special projects as needed.
- Labour background preferred, with previous experience in union communications and campaigns.
- College or university degree/diploma in communications, journalism, or a related discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience preferred.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with union members, politicians, union leaders and/or community groups on a range of issues.
- Superior communication skills in both English and French.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, WordPress, other design applications and software’s such as Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop and/or InDesign.
- Basic HTML coding skills an asset.
- Excellent project management skills including time management, organizing, scheduling, and stakeholder engagement skills.
- Superior oral and written communication skills in both French and English as well as the ability to translate documents if necessary (Please note: short-listed candidates will be tested).
- Ability to take direction and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated interest and/or participation in trade union activities essential.
- Reporting to: the Administrative Director
- Status: 35hrs/week, permanent. Includes a six-month probation period.
- Starting compensation: $60,000 per year
- Health spending account and pension benefits
- 3 weeks of vacation per year on the first year.
- Start Date: as soon as possible
- Start Date: as soon as possible
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. Please submit a letter of application, a detailed résumé and the names of two references to Jean-Sébastien Daoust, Administrative Director, at email@example.com.
We thank you for your interest but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are supportive of workforce diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Workers of colour, women, Aboriginal workers, LGBTQ2+ workers and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply.