Full time, Permanent
Are you a progressive communicator looking for their next challenge? The Toronto & York Region Labour Council has an opening for a new member of its dynamic staff team. Reporting to the President, the successful candidate will oversee the Council’s communications program and support our diverse campaigns.
This new role is suitable for a self-starter with significant communications experience. You will be responsible for creating, managing, executing and evaluating the Labour Council’s communications strategy, media relations and day-to-day communications needs, along with related data management.
About The Labour Council Toronto & York Region Labour Council is a central labour body that combines the strength of 140 local unions representing 200,000 union members who work in every sector of the economy. Its mandate is to organize and advocate on issues that are vital to working people throughout the region. For more information, visit labourcouncil.ca.
You are successful when you:
- Create and manage the Labour Council’s new communications strategy, and the recommended deliverables within it
- Provide creative input into organizational projects and plans, create compelling content to achieve strategic objectives
- Identify media relations opportunities, proactively engaging reporters
- Manage all digital assets, including website, social media channels and e-blasts and Nationbuilder to build data capacity
- Act as editor of Labour Council’s quarterly magazine Labour Action
- Oversee the creation of the Labour Day program and other publications
- Write and design material for print and digital media
- Support committee work as assigned
- Provide administrative support, as assigned
What you bring to the role:
- Senior communications experience
- Basic understanding of labour values and issues affecting working people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - a second language is an asset
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to use full Microsoft Office suite and Nationbuilder
- Experience in design for a variety of media
- Adept at coordinating multiple time-sensitive projects and deadlines
- Punctual, efficient, self-motivated and flexible
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced and results-oriented environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work in a collaborative environment
- Evidence of leadership and initiative, tact, diplomacy, and creativity
- Willingness and ability to be available outside of normal working hours when required
Applicants are invited to send their resume and a short cover letter that highlights their relevant experience by January 28, 2019 to email@example.com. This position is within the bargaining unit of COPE Local 343. Labour Council is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from people of colour, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.