PERMANENT FULLTIME POSITION – REGINA
Pay Band 12: $ 40.14-$ 47.27/hr.
Reporting to the Director of Membership Information Services/Information Technology & Communications and under the direction of the President. The Communication Officers’ work is often performed in consultation with Senior Sector leaders, Labour Relations Officers, and the Education Officer. We are searching for a positive, proactive, dynamic communications professional to help us engage our members and communicate our message to the public using creative digital concepts, social media, printed materials, and our website.
The successful candidate will work with colleagues in the Communications department to manage website content and graphics, monitor our current social media channels, provide limited design and layout for various printed pieces and/or email templates/campaigns and provide support to various member committees as required.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PRIMARY FUNCTIONS:
The following are the Key Accountabilities and Primary Functions of the position, although other duties and tasks may be assigned. Performance evaluations are based on the requirements contained in this position description, policies and procedures of the organization and the department and any specific goals and objectives that may be set for each employee.
- Research, write, edit and prepare for publication a variety of communication products, such as newsletters, news releases, briefs, pamphlets, and resource kits.
- Manage media relations.
- Develop and implement campaigns and social marketing initiatives designed to influence public opinion on a range of social, political, and economic issues. This will involve analysis, long-range strategic planning, research, and knowledge of communications concepts such as conceptual framing of issues.
- Initiate innovative creative concepts and oversee the development of a range of communications products tailored to targeted audiences, including interactive web-based materials, television, radio, billboard, digital and print ads and social media.
- Assist in the ongoing development of the organization's web-based communications, which includes writing for the web, maintaining and updating the website, and developing and implementing innovative on-line resources, such as e-petitions, videos, and social media campaigns.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of conferences and educational sessions, including facilitation, development of materials and other support services.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A degree in journalism, social sciences, media and communications, arts or humanities with three years’ experience in the communications field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Experience developing content and/or writing articles for print and web-based publications and advertisements
- Experience editing Newsletters and other publications.
- Knowledge and understanding of the labour movement, the public sector, and key public policy issues is essential.
- Knowledge of strategic planning processes and implementation of strategic plans in an identified service area or program of labour relations.
- Experience in designing communication products utilizing technical programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, In Design, etc. would be an asset
- Experience in design and layout for print would be an asset
- Ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders in a Union Environment.
Candidates are asked to forward a detailed resume and describe in the application their knowledge, skills and abilities together with how their experience relates to the position. Please cite the posting number in the cover letter.
Candidates selected for interviews will be asked to provide a short portfolio of original works, which showcases their creative abilities and highlights different formats they have worked with. Portfolios may include a combination of samples, such as but not limited to those listed below:
- Printed/written works (pamphlet, poster, postcard, advertisement, billboard)
- digital design work (infographic, meme, shareable, digital billboard, Facebook ads)
- original website content
- original video / photography
- piece of animation (online ad, video explainer, an animated digital billboard)
Please forward your resume along with a cover letter no later than 4:30 p.m., August 31, 2020 to:
1011 Devonshire Drive N. Regina, SK S4X 2X4
SGEU is committed to employment equity objectives, and we invite applications from all qualified individuals.
All applicants are requested to describe in their application where they have gained their knowledge, skills and abilities and how their experience relates to the position. This information will be used to screen applications. Please quote the posting number(s) for which you are wishing to be considered. USW Local 9841 qualified candidates will be given first consideration.
Only Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted