Purpose of Position
The Communications Officer provides communications advice, assistance and support to the Union of Northern Workers (UNW).
Education and Experience:
- Position requires a postsecondary diploma in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field OR a combination of education, training and experience with a minimum of three years related experience. Prior experience working with a labour or political organization will be considered.
- Knowledge of union, social and northern issues;
- Knowledge of issues affecting the union movement and UNW members;
- Knowledge of government decision making and of the Canadian political system.
- Knowledge of media relations including the ability to establish a working relationship with members of the media;
- Knowledge of organizing press conferences;
- Knowledge of the political and operational structure of the PSAC and, more specifically, the UNW will be considered an asset.
- Ability to assess and analyze various communication mediums in order to develop appropriate communication strategies including the maintenance of the website, writing materials for the website and administering, maintaining and monitoring the union’s use of social media;
- Ability to prepare spokespeople for media interviews and organize press conferences or media events;
- Ability to design and draft a variety of communication materials;
- Ability to develop communication strategies in order to mobilize members into action;
- Ability to plan and organize in order to meet strict deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate both orally and in writing in English effectively;
- Ability to draft documents for the media, union members and the public;
- Ability to edit for style and length, and proofread English documents.
- High degree of initiative, tact and good judgment;
- Candidates are expected to demonstrate their commitment to union principles and social justice.
Area of Search – This competition is open to the general public with preference give to those who live in the north.
Applications: Candidates are asked for forward a detailed resume and describe in the application how their knowledge, skills and abilities relate to the position. We also request candidates provide a written sample of a piece they have developed in a related discipline to support their application.
Candidates selected for interviews will be asked to provide a portfolio of original works showcasing their design abilities and various formats they have worked with, (i.e. website design/maintenance; graphic design; advertisements; newsletters; digital design)
Applications can be emailed to Kim Bailey, Director of Finance and Administration email@example.com.
Application Deadline: April 12, 2019