ELEMENTARY TEACHERS’ FEDERATION OF ONTARIO
INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF
DEPUTY GENERAL SECRETARY
The Deputy General Secretary is a senior administrative officer who will assist the General Secretary in administering the programs and services of the Federation.
The successful candidate will meet many of the following criteria:
- advanced knowledge in the areas of human resources, strategic planning, program development and implementation;
- five or more years in a senior leadership role, ideally in an environment related to public education such as federations, associations, unions, or other non-profit public sector organizations;
- experience in the development and administration of organizational budgets;
- exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- an understanding of the role of technology and social media in effective communications;
- demonstration of a strong commitment to and a high level understanding of the principles of social justice and equity;
- practical knowledge of the operation of a provincial teachers’ federation;
- a commitment to maintaining high quality publicly funded public education.
The Deputy General Secretary will be recognized as a strong advocate for teachers and education workers. Possessing an excellent understanding of education sector collective bargaining, legislative trends, policies, and laws governing education in Ontario, the successful candidate will be a resourceful individual who thinks strategically and makes sound decisions under pressure. The capacity to engage in flexible problem-solving, manage complex work situations and encourage and mentor staff to build professional capacity in an environment of trust and mutual respect will be key to ensuring superior programs and services for Federation members. The successful candidate will be calm, decisive and demonstrate integrity and strong personal ethics in response to the Executive and the needs of members.
Role responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the supervision and administration of Federation programs, services, budgets, personnel, and other duties as assigned by the General Secretary.
Candidates are required to submit a letter of application for the position and a resume. Candidates who are interviewed will be asked to provide references at a later date.
Applications must be received by midnight, September 28, 2020, quoting ETFO posting #202021-03. The start date for this position is January 1, 2021.
Applications must be submitted in confidence to Sharon O’Halloran, General Secretary email@example.com.