Department: Organizing (Moose Jaw location)
Status: Full-Time, Temporary - 4 month term with the possibility of extension
Salary information: The salary range is $68,329.04 to $78,962.74 per annum (Field Staff 1)
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is an international labour organization of 2.1 million members uniting workers in three industry sectors to improve their lives and the services they provide. SEIU-West is one of three locals in Canada and is dedicated to serving the needs of nearly 13,000 SEIU-West members in Saskatchewan.
Essential Nature of the Work:
Working under the direction of the Organizing Director of SEIU-West, and under the guidance of the Lead Organizer, the Community Outreach Worker represents and takes responsibility for the successful outcome of assigned SEIU-West organizing campaigns utilizing an array of tactics. The Community Outreach Worker will be assigned to our current organizing campaigns in the Retirement Home and Community Based Organization (CBO) sector. The incumbent must demonstrate an understanding of the organizing and mobilizing model of trade unionism as well as all pertinent legislation. The Community Outreach Worker must be able to work with members, staff and the Executive Board to implement the program set out by SEIU-West. The Community Outreach Worker performs a wide range of duties over irregular hours, which may vary according to location and duration as assigned by SEIU-West. Those seeking a challenging, creative and rewarding career are encouraged to apply.
- A sufficient combination of education and experience that is required to complete the duties of the position in an exemplary manner; for example, two years’ experience working within social justice movements;
- Experience working with the Microsoft suite of products
- Demonstrated familiarity with labour union politics and history.
- Demonstrated capacity as a leader.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle.
- Ability to hold a valid Passport and travel internationally.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Knowledge of provincial labour legislation;
- Ability to involve and motivate workers and team members:
- Ability to maintain working relationships with, and provide support to, members and other staff;
- Ability to educate worker leaders in identifying workplace issues with a problem-solving focus;
- Ability to communicate effectively, including using a cellular device and text messaging;
- Ability to utilize social media applications, including Facebook;
- Motivated self-starter able to work effectively with a minimum of supervision;
- Ability to work independently and with groups, as required;
- Ability to multi-task and organize time efficiently;
- Ability to handle difficult situations with tact, composure and dignity;
- Strong personal planning and time management skills;
- The ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement;
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Ability to work with an in-house database and web-based programs;
- Ability to work long, irregular hours including weekends and holidays.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary, are governed by the collective agreement between SEIU-West and USW Local 5917.
Please apply no later than 5:00 p.m. July 25, 2019 to:
Director of Organizing
39 Athabasca Street West
Moose Jaw, SK S6H 2B6