Are you an experienced Administrative Assistant interested in working for a respected health care union with a large and diverse membership, and a broad social justice mandate? Do you have a strong commitment to progressive social change and the promotion of fair wages and safe and healthy workplaces? If so, we want to hear from you.
The Hospital Employees’ Union is looking for skilled individuals to fill the position of Casual Administrative Assistant at its provincial office in Burnaby, British Columbia. These are temporary full-time positions and we offer specific terms of employment to relieve in positions occupied by regular employees on leave and where additional resources are needed for a temporary campaign or assignment.
Reporting to the Administrative Manager, Administrative Assistants perform organizational, administrative and clerical work to support the day-to-day operation of the Union. Assigned to assist a number of HEU staff, the Administrative Assistants are required to exercise initiative in organizing and executing their duties.
Duties performed by Administrative Assistants may vary from assignment to assignment. However, the incumbents are expected to perform the full scope of duties within the job description.
Qualifications and Experience
· Two years related work experience in a union environment and post-secondary education in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· General knowledge of administrative procedures and office organization.
· Excellent proofreading skills and attention to detail.
· Effective and respectful communication skills.
· Ability to perform internet research, and experience using and maintaining databases.
· Proficient in working with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook with a keyboard speed of at least 50 WPM.
· Demonstrated ability to solve problems and maintain confidentiality.
· Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
· Ability to work under pressure, to prioritize work, and to complete assignments in the expected time frames.
· Knowledge of union movement and operation an asset.
May be required to work some evenings and weekends and may be required to travel.
The normal work week is 8:30 – 5:00 PM Monday-Friday on a nine-day fortnight. This is a bargaining unit position and membership in the staff union is a condition of employment.
HEU is the oldest and largest health care union in British Columbia, with a 75-year history of advocacy for universal public health care and a strong commitment to social justice. We represent more than 50,000 members employed by public, non-profit and private sector employers. Our members work in all areas of health care in all areas of the province – acute care hospitals, residential care facilities, community group homes, outpatient clinics and medical labs, community social services, and First Nations health agencies – and provide both direct care and support services.
HEU is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to being a union and a workplace that is free of discrimination, values diversity, and is representative of the members and communities we serve.
Interested? Please send a resume and cover letter to us by May 24, 2019, explaining how you meet the requirements of the role. These positions will remain open until filled.
Please note that we will only be responding to applicants who are selected for an interview.