Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Type: Permanent Full-Time
Group/Grade: Non Union Non Management
Date: March 12, 2020
Founded in 1973, the Ontario Nurses’ Association
(ONA) is a leading health-care union representing 68,000 registered nurses and healthcare professionals, and more than 18,000 nursing student affiliates, working in Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics and industry. ONA is committed to the advancement of the social, economic and general welfare of its members, providing labour relations services that include representation of members to ensure their rights under the collective agreement are protected, and negotiating the best possible terms and conditions of employment. ONA also advocates for the highest standards of health care for all Ontarians. Looking to the future, ONA will continue to provide the leadership with proactive strategies to raise the awareness of the value (including economic and patient benefits) of RNs with all stakeholders.
ONA is seeking to hire a Human Resources Coordinator on our Human Resources Team in Toronto. Reporting to the Human Resources Director, the successful candidate will provide administrative support to the Human Resources department including the areas of recruitment, benefits and Human Resource Information Systems.
This is what else you can expect from this dynamic role:
- Provides administrative assistance to support the HR Team (i.e. drafts letters, email messages, updates forms/lists etc.)
- Maintains the Human Resources intake box and responds to internal and external inquires in a timely manner.
- Responds to calls and requests and escalates when appropriate (i.e. employee expenses, pay, policies etc.)
- Inputs and maintains employee files either electronically and or hardcopy.
- Inputs new hires and staff changes into the HRIS system - Ultimate Software
- Coordinates orientation program for Labour Relations Officers and Assistants.
- Coordinates Long Service Awards Program in collaboration with the Membership Education & Events Team.
- Updates and maintains the employee probation tracker (add new employees, notify managers of the due dates, ensure reviews are received by due dates, send probation completion letters upon successful completion of probation).
- Schedules interviews, prepares competition files, updates tracking spreadsheets and coordinates reference-checking procedures.
- Prepares employee file once candidate is hired.
- Coordinates and schedules exit interviews.
- Is the first point of contact for employees, benefit providers, and works with them to resolve employee claim issues and escalates as appropriate.
- Enrolls new employees into Manulife Benefits and Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- As the first point of contact, responds to employee questions regarding time and attendance, vacation and compensation days.
What we are looking for:
- The successful candidate will have a post-secondary certificate or diploma in Human Resources, Business/Administration or related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience satisfactory to ONA).
- Minimum of five (5) years Human Resources experience providing administrative/coordination support in a team, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Experience assisting with the recruitment process
- Experience with benefits administration.
- Experience in administering a Human Capital System/HRIS. Knowledge of Ultimate Software is an asset
- Experience in maintaining confidential HR files.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Detail orientated and organized with a high level of accuracy
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Self-motivated, self-starter, and independent thinker
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- CHRP or CHRL considered an asset.
The successful candidate must be able to travel, possess a valid driver’s license and have access to an automobile for business use.
Please submit your application by March 26, 2020.
The Ontario Nurses’ Association is committed to employment equity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from equity groups including individuals of Aboriginal descent, racialized individuals, individuals with disabilities, and Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered persons. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at HumanResources@ona.org
Thank you for your interest in joining us. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.