Vacancy ID#: 2019-27
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Type: Permanent Full-time
Group/Grade: Bargaining Unit 2/Grade 2
Rate: $57,308.24 (start) - $71,633.18
Date: May 17, 2019
Founded in 1973, the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) is a leading health-care union representing more than 65,000 registered nurses and health professionals and 18,000 nursing student affiliates working in Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics and industry. ONA is committed to the advancement of the social, economic and general welfare of its members providing labour relations services that include representation of members to ensure their rights under the collective agreement are protected and negotiating the best possible terms and conditions of employment. ONA advocates for the highest standards of health care for all Ontarians. Looking to the future, ONA will continue to provide proactive strategies to raise the awareness of the value (including economic and patient benefits) of RNs with all stakeholders.
ONA is seeking to hire a Labour Relations Assistant for the Litigation Team in the Toronto Office. ONA’s litigation team consists of 16 litigators engaged in an active labour practice, led by the Manager, Litigation.
ONA is seeking a legal assistant to provide administrative and clerical support to litigators for a labour practice involving labour arbitration, labour board, human rights tribunal, and other legal proceedings. This would include handling legal and administrative tasks, overall file management, processing of grievances to arbitration, scheduling and calendar management, document database management, assistance in preparing pleadings and legal documents, and other support to litigators as required.
Our ideal candidate will demonstrate expertise, judgment and independence to provide advanced-level administrative support across their team with a professional and service-focused approach. With a high attention to detail and a motivation to take initiative, the successful candidate will be accountable for providing support to members and staff, in collaboration with our Litigators.
This is what else you can expect from this dynamic role:
- Assist the litigator by organizing and supporting their labour practice involving labour arbitration, labour board, human rights and/or other types of legal proceedings.
- Responsible for file management including organizing documents, record management (electronic and hard copy), and document database management.
- Responsible for performing administrative tasks, implementing applicable work processes, tracking deadlines in regards to processing of grievances to arbitration, and supporting ongoing litigation.
- Develop a file tracking system in coordination with the litigator to monitor the progress of cases
- Calendar management for the litigator including booking prep meetings and hearing dates
- Develop relationships and deal regularly with internal and external stakeholders including local and bargaining unit leaders, members, arbitrators, employer counsel, and their assistants
- Receive inquiries by telephone and in person and direct callers to the appropriate team member
- Prepare correspondence, books of documents, books of authorities or other legal documents for hearings.
- Help prepare, compile, serve and file various applications and responses for proceedings before various administrative tribunals
- Transcribe documents including letters, memos, and correspondence or copy-typing handwritten notes
- Photocopy and scan documents and correspondence
- Convert documents from various versions to Word and/or onto templates provided
- Produce and proofread materials/documents for Litigators
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate will possess -
- Post-secondary certificate and/or diploma in Legal Administration, Business Administration or a related field.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience as a legal secretary and/or legal assistant in labour and employment law or a related litigation practice (or equivalent combination of education/experience satisfactory to ONA).
- French Bilingual Preferred.
- File and records management experience.
- Knowledge of or capacity to learn legal terminology as well as arbitration and labour board procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Self-motivated, self-starter, and independent thinker.
- Detail oriented and organized with a high level of accuracy.
- Dedicated work ethic and demonstrated team player who can work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to work professionally with people both outside the organization and within various levels of the organization.
If you are seeking an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own, visit our website and apply today!
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day June 3, 2019. Please include the vacancy 2019-27 in the subject line.
The Ontario Nurses’ Association is committed to employment and pay equity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from equity groups including individuals of Indigenous descent, racialized individuals, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources.
Thank you for your interest in joining us. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.