Vacancy ID#: 2019-32 (LRA/Grade 2)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Type: Permanent Full-time
Group/Grade: Bargaining Unit /Grade 2
Rate: $57,308.24 (start) - $71,633.18
Date: July 5, 2019
Founded in 1973, the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) is a leading health-care union representing 65,000 registered nurses and health-care professionals and more than 18,000 nursing student affiliates working in Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics and industry. ONA is committed to the advancement of the social, economic and general welfare of its members, providing labour relations services that include representation of members to ensure their rights under the collective agreement are protected and negotiating the best possible terms and conditions of employment. ONA advocates for the highest standards of health care for all Ontarians. Looking to the future, ONA will continue to provide proactive strategies to raise the awareness of the value (including economic and patient benefits) of RNs with all stakeholders.
ONA is seeking to hire a Labour Relations Assistant for our Communications and Government Relations Team (CGRT), Toronto Office. Reporting to the Executive Lead, CGRT, the Labour Relations Assistant needs to be a motivated self-starter who demonstrates sound judgment, attention to detail and independence. You will have experience in communications, public relations, and/or a related field, along with the ability to liaise with various clients and stakeholders – both internally and externally. You will be responsible for providing a professional and service-focused approach to your role, which involves advanced-level coordination and support within CGRT, as well as throughout the organization.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Make observable contributions to the success of other team members and the overall performance of the team.
- Organize and maintain team A/V assets, including photos, and video and audio recordings.
- Produce and provide input on materials/documents/presentations, including writing, proofreading and development.
- Coordinate printing and reprinting of various materials for the team and the organization.
- Order and maintain various supplies (such as flags, vests, megaphones, banners, etc.) and manage requests and distribution as required.
- Provide graphic design support, including flyers, brochures, etc.
- Provide website support, including writing copy, posting and updates, troubleshooting, file management, and other support.
- Provide support (writing, editing, troubleshooting) for various other online assets, including Local websites and microsites.
- Support the Media Relations Officer with the daily and weekly media clips package, as required.
- Support team members, including Executive Lead and Team Lead, with various duties, as required.
- Represent ONA at various events by managing and interacting with delegates at the CGRT table.
Various responsibilities related to coordinating premiums and incentives, including:
- Maintain and manage vendor relationships as it relates to premiums and incentives.
- Connect with vendors regularly to discuss project specs, obtain quotes, manage the status of accounts.
- Fulfill role as project coordinator between team members, staff, designers and vendors to ensure efficient completion of projects/requests.
- Fill requests for premiums/incentives and materials as required, including filling orders, packing materials, tracking orders and quantities (inventory) and shipping.
- Maintain inventory in an efficient manner ensuring proper records are kept.
Various administrative responsibilities, including:
- Records management, identifying priorities within the tracking system.
- Receive inquiries by telephone, email, in person, and direct call appropriately and assist with team intake inquiries, as needed.
- Assist team members, including Executive Lead and Team Lead, with booking meetings, coordinating appointments and scheduling calls, as needed.
- Process incoming/outgoing mail and couriers, ensuring the most efficient method is used for distribution.
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate will possess:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Communications, Public Relations, or a related field.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience (or equivalent combination of education/experience satisfactory to ONA).
- Demonstrated ability to write, edit and proofread materials/documents, with a high level of accuracy and strong attention to detail, including proper spelling and grammar, readability, professionalism, etc.
- Ability to work collaboratively, respectfully, and professionally with team members and others in various levels throughout the organization to ensure positive and collegial working relationships.
- Ability to successfully work with various clients and stakeholders – internally and externally.
- Experience in project management/coordination.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint), as well as Adobe Acrobat, Survey Monkey, and database management.
- Knowledge of and ability to use graphic design software is an asset.
- Ability to update and maintain content on websites.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work professionally with people from various levels of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Adaptable and flexible individual who can work effectively as part of a team, and individually.
- From time to time, you may be asked to lift and move materials, and packages, including over-sized boxes.
- Ability to travel to support various ONA events.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day Friday, July 19, 2019. Please include the vacancy ID# 2019-32 in the subject line.
The Ontario Nurses’ Association is committed to employment equity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from equity groups including individuals of Aboriginal descent, racialized individuals, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at HumanResources@ona.org.
Thank you for your interest in joining us. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.