Labour Relations Officer – Servicing 6 Month Contract
Location: London, ON Canada
Group/Grade: Bargaining Unit/Officer Grade
Rate: $98,145.83 (start)
Date: October 7, 2020
Founded in 1973, the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) is a leading health-care union representing more than 68,000 registered nurses and health-care professionals and 18,000 nursing student affiliates working in Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics and industry. ONA is committed to the advancement of the social, economic and general welfare of its members providing labour relations services that include representation of members to ensure their rights under the collective agreement are protected and negotiating the best possible terms and conditions of employment. ONA advocates for the highest standards of health care for all Ontarians. Looking to the future, ONA will continue to provide proactive strategies to raise the awareness of the value (including economic and patient benefits) of RNs with all stakeholders.
ONA is seeking to hire a contract Labour Relations Officer (Servicing) to join our West District Service Team (WDST), London office. The position reports to the Manager, Labour Relations, WDST and works within the boundaries of ONA’s governing and administrative policies, vision and strategic outcomes and team standards. The successful candidate is accountable for guiding and supporting the needs of our members and will ensure the individual and collective rights of members are achieved and maintained.
This is what else you can expect from this dynamic role:
- Negotiations, contract administration, health & safety - support Bargaining Units and Locals in trusteeship.
- Provide assistance when there are issues of capacity/workload or where the Bargaining Units have complex labour relations issues in a health-care environment.
- Consult with the Litigation and Negotiations Teams in preparation and presentation for arbitrations.
- In partnership with our Professional Practice Specialist, ensure members receive timely guidance concerning professional practice issues.
What we are looking for:
- University degree, diploma or certificate in Industrial/Labour Relations or related equivalent education.
- A Registered Nurse (RN) is required.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of labour relations experience is preferred.
- Alternative Dispute and Conflict Resolution and/or Advanced Mediation and Workplace Conflict Coaching Certification and/or training is an asset.
- Knowledge of the procedures, practices and techniques used in collective bargaining and labour management negotiations.
- Full understanding and demonstrated working knowledge of relevant legislation (e.g. Employment Standards Act, Ontario Labour Relations Act, Human Rights Code etc.).
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, mentorship and coaching.
- Excellent client relations, communication and advocacy skills.
- Ability to speak other languages and/or French bilingual is considered an asset.
The candidate must be able to travel, possess a valid driver’s license and have access to an automobile for business use.
All Interested candidates may apply via ONA Jobs by October 21, 2020
The Ontario Nurses’ Association is committed to employment and pay equity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from equity groups including individuals of Indigenous descent, racialized individuals, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources.
Thank you for your interest in joining us. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.