The Legal Officer provides legal advice and representation to the PSAC Centre and the Components.
This includes but is not limited to human rights, harassment, gender-based discrimination, pay equity, employment equity, pension and disability insurance, workers’ compensation, and health and safety.
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement (BFOR):
- There is a Bona Fide Occupational Requirement (BFOR) associated with the position and requiring the position to be filled by a qualified woman.
Education and experience:
- Law degree from a recognized university, been called to the bar and be a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial Law Society;
- Experience appearing in Federal Court as well as before administrative tribunals.
- Specialized and up-to-date knowledge of the Administrative Law, Labour Law, and general knowledge of Contract and Employment Law as well as the areas of law identified above.
- Ability to recognize, analyze and solve legal problems;
- Ability to do legal research and to write legal opinions;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing preferably in both official language (English and French)
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to negotiate effective solutions to complex legal issues;
- Ability to use a computer for document production and research;
- Ability to develop alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
- Ability to be autonomous and to demonstrate commitment to union principles and social justice.
A detailed job description is available on our website: http://psacunion.ca/jobs-psac or on the attached document
The PSAC is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from members of equity seeking groups.