The Legal Officer provides legal advice and representation to the PSAC Centre and the Components.
This includes but is not limited to human rights, harassment, employment equity, pension and disability insurance, workers’ compensation, and health and safety.
Education and experience:
- Law degree from a recognized university, been called to the bar and be a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial Law Society;
- Experience appearing in Federal Court as well as before administrative tribunals.
- Specialized and up-to-date knowledge of the Administrative Law, Labour Law, and general knowledge of Contract and Employment Law as well as the areas of law identified above.
- Ability to recognize, analyze and solve legal problems;
- Ability to do legal research and to write legal opinions;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing preferably in both official language (English and French)
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to negotiate effective solutions to complex legal issues;
- Ability to use a computer for document production and research;
- Ability to develop alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
- Ability to be autonomous and to demonstrate commitment to union principles and social justice.
A detailed job description is available on our website: http://psacunion.ca/jobs-psac
The PSAC is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from members of equity seeking groups.