Salary: $97,763 – $110,035, plus $1,486.43, Bilingual bonus (expired salary)
Employment type: Term up to 18 months
Location: Ottawa Headquarters
Closing Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 15:30 EST
English requirements: Comprehension Spoken Written
French requirements: Comprehension Spoken Written
Search area: Employees of PSAC, Components, and PSAC Holdings Ltd, Members giving PSAC membership number,General public
Competition Number: 9240-0003A-020
Branch/Section: Membership Programs Branch
Group: Unifor 2025
Classification: Band 12
Purpose of position:
The Legal Officer provides legal advice and representation to the PSAC Centre and the Components.
Education and Experience:
- A law degree from a recognized university, been called to the bar and be a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial law society;
- Experience appearing in the Federal Court as well as appearances before administrative tribunals;
- Specialized knowledge of administrative law, labour law, and general knowledge of contract and employment law as well as in relevant areas of law;
- Ability to recognize, analyze and solve legal problems;
- Ability to do legal research and to write legal opinions;
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to negotiate effective solutions to complex legal issues;
- Ability to use a computer (document production and research);
- Ability to develop alternative dispute resolution mechanisms;
- Second language skills as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level indicated above.
- Ability to be autonomous in his/her work and to demonstrate commitment to union principles and social justice.
A detailed job description is available at: psacunion.ca/jobs-psac.
The PSAC is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from members of equity seeking groups.