Unifor is seeking to hire a permanent Communications Representative join our dynamic team in a fast paced and creative environment. This position would be our social media lead at the National Office in Toronto. This position reports to the Director of Communications and the right candidate has excellent writing skills and can develop, create and support a variety of Unifor’s communication needs in collective bargaining, campaigns, human rights and equity, organizing and membership development.
The selected candidate will support and contribute to the goals of the union to advance progressive politics for all working people and defend workers’ rights and human rights, while endeavoring to strengthen the labour movement.
This is a unionized position with Unifor, all rights and benefits are outlined in the collective agreement with CNRU.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Write, produce and edit a wide range of communication materials, including a weekly digital newsletter, oversee design and production, including: media releases, backgrounders, campaign flyers and fact sheets, editorials, print advertising, videos, website stories, social media accounts and electronic communications;
- Take photographs, Iphone videos and work with freelance videographers to produce high impact videos to support and promote the work of the union.
- Produce and stream events on Facebook Live
- Provide strategic communications advice and expertise on methods of communications, messaging, target audiences to be reached, timing and release of communication and a digital strategy for campaigns;
- Media relations, including developing and implementing timely responses to media inquiries, assisting with the coordination of media interviews for other Unifor spokespeople as assigned and when required and organizing media events in support of organizational priorities and initiatives;
- Lead Unifor’s social and digital media strategy by maintaining a social media calendar to ensure high impact and quality content maintains growth of engagement on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Post-secondary diploma or university degree in a relevant field (i.e. Communications, Public Relations, and Marketing) or significant relevant work experience in a trade union or in a communications area may also be considered;
- Understanding of, or experience with a trade union, collective bargaining, and labour-based campaigns;
- Proven experience with social media, media relations, and urgent crisis issues management situations;
- Excellent written, spoken, and interpersonal communication skills, with attention to detail;
- Proficiency French language is a beneficial asset;
- Effective time management, organization skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks with similar deadlines without compromising quality or accuracy;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines;
- A team player who works well with a diverse group of elected leaders, members, other national and local staff, and community or labour organizations;
- Must be able and willing to work weekends, flexible hours and travel on short notice.
- Adobe Suite experience and asset, including InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere.
- NationBuilder experience is as asset.
Interested applicants may forward their application for this appointed position by sending an email noting the position title in the subject line to email@example.com before 5:00 p.m. on June 21, 2019.