Bulletin No. 2019-03
National Representative, Media Relations and Media Monitoring
June 20, 2019 July 15, 2019 (extended)
The Canadian Labour Congress has a vacancy for a temporary National Representative, Media Relations and Media Monitoring, within the Communications Department, based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Under the supervision of the National Director, and in cooperation with Communications staff and staff in other departments, the successful candidate will:
- coordinate media relations with national, regional and local media, including responding to media requests, preparing spokespeople in advance of interviews, and coordinating media outreach on behalf of the Congress around priority campaigns;
- responsible for writing and editing news releases, op-eds and web posts;
- develop and nurture relationships with print, broadcast, community, digital, and ethno-cultural-specific journalists and editors;
- provide communications support for CLC media events such as news conferences and appearances by CLC officers and experts, including preparing background information for journalists, tracking media response and reporting on coverage;
- conduct daily early-morning review of all media coverage including digital, broadcast and print national, regional, ethno-cultural and community media, including timely scanning for proactive media opportunities and recommending strategic responses and initiatives;
- coordinate and prepare speeches and speaking notes for CLC Officer presentations, in coordination with subject matter experts;
- prepare written content for web posts and other digital communication tools;
- provide communications support for CLC conferences and conventions, including the implementation of a media strategy;
- manage CLC’s media monitoring services and subscriptions to ensure the best possible monitoring of our presence in print, broadcast, community, ethno-cultural and social media;
- prepare quarterly reports on CLC media presence, including reporting and recommendations on trends and opportunities; and
- perform other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- post-secondary education in communications, journalism or a related field;
- excellent writing and editing skills;
- demonstrated ability to work effectively with online, broadcast and print national, regional, ethno-cultural and community forms of media;
- Two years of experience working in communications in a union and/or progressive political context;
- experience providing timely, strategic advice on media relations;
- a sound knowledge of the union movement and ability to work cooperatively with unions and staff;
- the ability to manage multiple tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team, and the ability to exercise tact, discretion and judgement;
- experience and knowledge of Word Press is considered an asset;
- English language fluency required, knowledge of French considered a strong asset.
An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position is $83,166.90 plus health benefits and pension under the collective agreement of IAMAW Local Lodge 3111 CULR (formerly with Unifor, Local CULR 1).
Please submit your resume and covering letter to the attention of Lori McCarthy, Human Resources Director, via email: email@example.com by June 20, 2019. Quote Bulletin 2019-03 in your application. While we appreciate all applications received, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian Labour Congress is an equal opportunity employer. Members of equity seeking groups are encouraged to self-identify. Women, workers of colour, workers with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, two-spirit, intersex and Indigenous workers are encouraged to apply for this position.