Vacancy ID#: 2019-25
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Type: Permanent Full-time
Group/Grade: Non-Bargaining Unit/Grade 6
Date: March 6, 2019
Founded in 1973, the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) is a leading health-care union representing more than 65,000 registered nurses and health professionals and 18,000 nursing student affiliates working in Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics and industry. ONA is committed to the advancement of the social, economic and general welfare of its members providing labour relations services that include representation of members to ensure their rights under the collective agreement are protected and negotiating the best possible terms and conditions of employment. ONA advocates for the highest standards of health care for all Ontarians. Looking to the future, ONA will continue to provide proactive strategies to raise the awareness of the value (including economic and patient benefits) of RNs with all stakeholders.
ONA is seeking to hire a Payroll & Human Resources (HR) Generalist to join our HR Team. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with HR colleagues, employees and managers to provide guidance, recommendations and support on matters related to HR policies, programs, procedures and best practices, including but not limited to: payroll administration, performance management, health/safety/wellness, employee relations, HR reporting and analysis, legal and legislative compliance; including front line collective agreement administration, employee retention and engagement, along with ongoing support of our Human Resources Information System (HRIS)/Ultipro system and ad hoc projects as they arise.
The successful candidate in this role will demonstrate an ability to operate effectively in a complex environment, showing sound judgement, discretion and effective decision-making skills.
This is what else you can expect from this dynamic role:
- The Payroll & HR Generalist will act with considerable independence, discretion, judgement, and initiative to ensure the timely and accurate delivery of services and resolution of employee administrative and organizational issues by providing accurate information and advice on policies, programs, procedures, administrative and operational solutions.
- Key to this position will be a primary payroll administration focus.
- Assists and at times, leads the bi-weekly payroll process as back up to our Payroll & Benefits Specialist for approximately 250 people across 10 Ontario offices using our newly launch Ultipro by Ultimate Software (in-house system).
- Assists in the administration of group benefits, pension deductions and remittances.
- Data entry processing new hires, terminations, and personnel changes as required.
- Assists with information gathering for audits as required.
- Generates payroll reports as required.
- Assists with required year-end payroll functions to ensure smooth processing of year end tasks.
- Contributes to the accuracy and integrity of the payroll function.
In addition to providing support to the organization, and building upon current best practices, the Generalist, in collaboration with HR colleagues, provides strategic HR support to ONA committees, projects, and policy/program development.
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate will possess -
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in a HR Generalist role, including at least two (2) in a unionized environment (or equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered).
- Two (2) year of full cycle payroll experience; must possess a fundamental understanding of payroll logic and legislation to ensure compliance.
- Benefits and defined benefit pension administration, including biweekly and monthly reporting and premium payments as required.
- Three (3) years’ experience in HRIS administration; HRIS implementation/transition in a unionized environment preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of organizational design practices and the ability to navigate an organization through change, and influence employee engagement and morale.
- Advanced relationship management and consulting skills with proven success in building and maintaining positive and productive working relationships with all levels of staff, and a demonstrated ability to impact and influence all levels of management.
- Ability to earn the trust/respect and maintain confidentiality and integrity of confidential material and information.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of HR processes and practices.
- Strong presentation, written and verbal communication skills which bring clarity and precision at various decision-making meetings
- Able to deal with ambiguity, amongst multiple projects and competing priorities and effect change.
- Strong diagnosis skills followed by good ability to evaluate options/alternatives and develop solutions/recommendations for solutions to complex and multi-dimensional problems/issues
- Strong project management skills and effective execution skills to ensure successful delivery/implementation of special initiatives, processes and best practices.
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal skills in handling sensitive and confidential situations and documentation
- Proficient skill level with Microsoft Applications; Advances Excel required.
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) an asset
- Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution an asset;
- Certificate/training in Workplace Investigations an asset
- Health & Safety Training (Part One: Basic Training and Part Two: Hazard-Specific Training) an asset.
- Bilingualism or ability to speak and write in French is an asset
If you are seeking an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own, visit our website and apply today!
Please submit your resume to email@example.com by end of day March 19, 2019. Please include the vacancy ID#2019-25 in the subject line.
The Ontario Nurses’ Association is committed to employment and pay equity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from equity groups including individuals of Indigenous descent, racialized individuals, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources.
Thank you for your interest in joining us. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.