Permanent Full-Time Education Coordinator
Department: Political Action & Education (Saskatoon location)
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary information: The salary range is $80,802.64 to $93,377.56 per annum (Field Staff 4)
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is an international labour organization of 2.1 million members uniting workers in three industry sectors to improve their lives and the services they provide. SEIU-West is one of three locals in Canada and is dedicated to serving the needs of nearly 13,000 SEIU-West members in Saskatchewan.
Essential Nature of the Work:
Working under the direction of the Director of Political Action & Education, the Education Coordinator is responsible for the design and day to day implementation of the SEIU-West education program. The focus will be to coordinate, develop, implement and evaluate education programs both in a classroom setting and on-line to meet membership needs. The incumbent will ensure quality program delivery by SEIU-West member education facilitators; this includes recruitment and training of member education facilitators and the provision of ongoing professional development opportunities. The Education Coordinator will provide ongoing research and assessment to ensure quality control. The incumbent must be able to work with leaders, stewards, members and other staff.
- University Degree in Labour Relations or Education, or Diploma in Labour Relations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of three years demonstrated experience in adult education, needs assessment and program development;
- Ability to design and deliver on-line training programs;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle as travel may be required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in the design and delivery of educational programs and activities including the compilation of materials/manuals in support of such programs;
- Knowledge and skill in the use of computers and programs including Canvas;
- Recent & relevant labour experience;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, with the ability to present information, prepare correspondence, pamphlets, speaking notes and other materials as required;
- Ability to engage and educate leaders, stewards and members on a broad range of issues;
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with, and provide support to, members and other staff;
- Ability to utilize social media applications
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Motivated self-starter able to work effectively with a minimum of supervision;
- Excellent group and interpersonal communications and management skills;
- Excellent research and organizational skills, with careful attention to detail;
- Ability to handle difficult situations with tact, composure and dignity;
- Ability to work independently and with groups, as required;
- Ability to multi-task and organize time efficiently;
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement;
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Ability to work with an in-house database and web-based programs;
- Ability to work long, irregular hours including weekends and holidays.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary, are governed by the collective agreement between SEIU-West and USW Local 5917.
Please apply no later than 5:00 p.m. August 2, 2019:
Director of Political Action & Education
#200 – 747 46th Street West
Saskatoon, SK S7L-6A1