Department: Political Action & Education (Saskatoon location)
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary information: The salary range is $75,430.13 to $87,168.95 per annum (Field Staff 2)
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is an international labour organization of 2.1 million members uniting workers in three industry sectors to improve their lives and the services they provide. SEIU-West is one of three locals in Canada and is dedicated to serving the needs of nearly 13,000 SEIU-West members in Saskatchewan.
Essential Nature of the Work:
Working under the direction of the Director of Political Action & Education, the Project Coordinator will facilitate the planning and roll-out stages of assigned projects within both the Organizing department and the Political Action & Education department. The incumbent will provide quality control functions to ensure that the work of SEIU-West is informed by appropriate research efforts. The incumbent will contribute to program development for member education and will contribute to recruitment for member leader development. She/he will assist SEIU-West in the maintenance and expansion of our social media presence and communication strategies and campaign delivery, including the creation of various publications. The incumbent will lead and participate in community and member mobilizing campaigns such as the Fight for 15. Duties are accomplished in consultation with other SEIU staff to ensure the objectives of SEIU-West are met.
- University, College Degree or Diploma in Labour Relations, Social Sciences, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications or Education or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of two years demonstrated experience in labour relations, public relations, communications and/or social sciences (including political science or public policy);
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, and on weekends and holidays as required;
- Ability to function co-operatively and collaboratively with other SEIU staff, exercise good judgement and manage shifting priorities;
- Demonstrated organizing experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle, as travel may be required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in the operation of MS Office software, databases such as UnionWare and web-based research tools.
- Knowledge and skill in the design and maintenance of websites.
- Knowledge and skill in the design and production of written, visual and oral communications and public relations vehicles, including desktop publishing.
- Recent & relevant labour experience.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, with the ability to present information, prepare correspondence, briefs, news releases, speaking notes and other materials as required.
- Ongoing/current knowledge of social, economic and political issues.
- Ability to document research, member education and political actions, and communications using a computer database and run reports of same.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with, and provide support to, leaders, members and other staff.
- Ability to educate leaders, stewards and members on a broad range of issues pertaining to trade union rights, responsibilities and benefits.
- Ability to assist in engaging leaders, stewards and members in political and community action.
- Motivated self-starter able to work effectively with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work independently and with groups, as required.
- Ability to multi-task and organize time efficiently.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours including weekends and holidays.
- Excellent group and interpersonal communications and management skills.
- Excellent research skills, with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent numerical, statistical database, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary, are governed by the collective agreement between SEIU-West and USW Local 5917.
Please apply no later than 5:00 p.m. September 4 2019 to:
Shawna Colpitts (Shawna.Colpitts@seiuwest.ca)
Director of Political Action & Education
#200 – 747 46th Street West
Saskatoon, SK S7L-6A1