The 5000 member union with its head office in Charlottetown, PEI is seeking to fill the position of Senior Staffing Officer. The Senior Staffing Officer is an expert generalist responsible for the day to day operation of the PEI Union of Public Sector Employees. Successful applicants will have a proven record as a union staff person with increasing degrees of responsibility. This position calls for an experienced trade unionist with a strong commitment to issues of social justice who can act as a mentor to staff and membership.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides supervision and expert advice to staff and members on a broad range of labour relations matters including negotiations, dispute resolution, arbitration, strike preparation, campaigning, organizing, Convention planning and union communications.
- Works with the President, staff and the Board of Directors to oversee and direct implementation of convention mandates and strategic planning initiatives.
- Ensures staffing complement and work assignments optimize the skills of employees. Keeps job descriptions current, conducts annual performance appraisals, identifies training needs and facilitates staff skills upgrading.
- Manages human resources functions such as sick leave use and vacation leave.
- Acts on behalf of the employer during staff negotiations.
- Acts as the confidential assistant to the President and serves as liaison to selected committees as required by the President.
- Oversees the development and implementation of a formal membership complaints process.
- Works with the President, Secretary-Treasurer and Finance Committee as required assisting in preparation of the UPSE budget.
- The position requires an individual with extensive labour law knowledge and experience. The senior staffing officer must exhibit mature judgement and a strong background of practical experience in advocacy, leadership, research, negotiations, organizing, supervision and team building as well as verbal and written communications. Experience in staff supervision and a willingness to work irregular hours and travel may be necessary.
- The position requires computer skills in such programs as UnionWare and Microsoft Office.
- The successful candidate must have a Minimum of University degree or college diploma from a recognized institution in a related field supplemented by additional training in Conflict Resolution, HR practises, or Labour Law.
- A high level of written and oral communications is essential.
- In addition, knowledge of the PEI UPSE organization and the bargaining units that it represents would be an asset.
- Of primary importance is a demonstrated commitment to trade unionism and social justice.
Terms and conditions:
Wages and benefits commensurate with experience and education.
Please submit cover letter and resume in envelope marked CONFIDENTIAL to:
UPSE Staff Relations Committee, c/o Carolyn Knox Committee Chair
4 Enman Crescent,
Deadline for receipt of applications is 4:00 p.m., Friday, March 20, 2020