Application deadline: December 18, 2019
The Staff Representative I is a complex and responsible position where the incumbent administers and enforces collective agreements on behalf of the membership of the MGEU. The Staff Representative I mentors members and activists, and acts as a resource to assigned union Locals, Components, and a variety of union committees.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience as a Staff Representative, or the equivalent combination of experience and education as a union activist or labour relations expert, which must include experience advocating on behalf of members regarding complaints and grievances.
- Able to read and interpret collective agreements and other related legislation and regulations.
- Experience investigating and researching labour related issues.
- Able to deal with a variety of personnel and stakeholders, and portray an effective image in numerous situations.
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to speak effectively in public.
- Strong organizational, planning and prioritizing skills.
- Able to promote Labour and MGEU values and navigate through the MGEU organizational structure and unionized workplaces.
- Good computer skills and able to work with MS Office and databases.
- Able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Able to travel including overnight hotel stays.
- Post-Secondary education in a related field is an asset.