The Staff Representative II is a complex and responsible position where the incumbent administers, enforces and negotiates collective agreements on behalf of the membership of the MGEU. The Staff Representative II mentors members and activists; and acts as a resource to assigned union Locals, Components, and a variety of union committees; and facilitates union educationals.
• Ensure that member contract demands are properly researched, reviewed, and considered by the bargaining committee, and written into proper contract language.
• Is responsible for the bargaining process, and acts as a lead and works collaboratively with the bargaining committee throughout.
• Provide support and advocacy on behalf of MGEU members for prompt resolution of all complaints and issues.
• Conduct investigations and where necessary prepare and file grievances. This may also include assisting in appeals and arbitrations.
• Mentor members to increase their labour relations knowledge and experience, and encourage union activism.
• Assist in arrangements for meetings within assigned areas, and attend such meetings for purposes of communicating union business/policies, acting as a resource to members, and providing advice and leadership, where required.
• Facilitate union educationals, as required.
• Proactively identify issues of broader concern and work with leadership to follow up and ensure prompt resolution.
• Represent the MGEU at external events and meetings; support and participate in MGEU campaigns and activities.
• Perform other related duties, as assigned.
• Minimum five (5) years of experience as a Staff Representative, or the equivalent combination of experience and education as a union activist or labour relations expert, which must include experience advocating on behalf of members regarding complaints and grievances.
• Must have extensive experience as a lead negotiator in collective bargaining.
• Able to read and interpret collective agreements; prepare and articulate collective agreement language.
• Able to research and interpret related legislation and regulations.
• Experience investigating and researching labour related issues.
• Able to deal with a variety of personnel and stakeholders, and portray an effective image in numerous situations.
• Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; able to speak effectively in public.
• Strong organizational, planning and prioritizing skills.
• Able to promote Labour and MGEU values and navigate through the MGEU organizational structure and unionized workplaces.
• Good computer skills and able to work with MS Office and databases.
• Able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
• Able to travel including overnight hotel stays.
• Post-Secondary education in a related field is an asset.
Please forward resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 2, 2020 at 4:00pm