Salary: $82,127 – $ 92,435 plus $1,486.43 bilingual allowance (Expired salary)
Employment type: Term up to one year
Location: Ottawa Headquarters
Closing Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 15:30 EDT
Search area: Employees of PSAC, Components, and PSAC Holdings Ltd, Members giving PSAC membership number, General public
Competition Number: 9010-0009A-020
Branch/Section: Membership Programs Branch
Group: Unifor 2025
Classification: Band 10
Purpose of position:
- Position linguistic designation: Bilingual (English and French)
- Position global linguistic level: Second language CEFR level: C1
Reporting to the Language Services Supervisor, the translator is part of a dynamic team responsible for providing high-quality language services in French and English to the various sections of Canada’s largest federal public service union. We are looking for an experienced candidate to translate and adapt a wide range of sometimes highly technical material (releases, administrative reports, collective agreements, financial statements, ads, videos, online courses, etc.). The ideal candidate will have strong judgment, initiative, flexibility and interpersonal skills required to work in a team environment, prioritize work and meet tight deadlines.
Purpose of position
To translate a variety of documents from English to French mainly, but also from French to English.
- B.A. in translation and five years translation experience or equivalent studies and experience.
- Practical knowledge of the technical field of translation involving specialized, complex techniques and documented textbook concepts.
- Basic knowledge of trade union roles, objectives and activities.
- Some familiarity with labour relations terminology.
- Bilingual as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level indicated above
- Strong ability to resolve problems encountered during research, translation and revision.
- Ability to use translation tools and standard office software.
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with others in a team environment.
- Understanding and commitment to trade union and equity principles.
A detailed job description is available at: psacunion.ca/jobs-psac or on the attached document.
The PSAC is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from members of equity seeking groups.