Posted: 9 September 2019
Deadline: 5:00pm, Friday, 20 September 2019
Position Type: Full-time, permanent
Number of positions: Two (2)
Workplace Environment: Unionised, CUPE 1281
Job Starts: October 2019
Workplace Location: 208 Bloor Street West with occasional location work at the St. George, Scarborough and Mississauga campuses of the University of Toronto
About CUPE 3902
CUPE 3902 is the trade union representing more than 9,500 contract-academic workers at the University of Toronto (primarily teaching assistants, sessional lecturers and post-doctoral fellows). We are looking for two (2) individuals willing to commit to a democratic union culture, working under the supervision of the Executive Director and in close collaboration with a diverse membership and an annually-elected Executive Committee.
- 1-2 years’ experience interpreting collecting agreements and handling, processing and filing of grievances
- Experience interpreting and enforcing standards of relevant labour legislation
- Negotiation skills
- Research skills in labour law, university governance and bargaining
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (media relations, web and graphic design)
- Understanding of organisational procedure
- Experience with union training and education
- Familiarity with University issues
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills and the ability to work both collectively and independently
- Post-secondary education
- Filing and processing of grievances; assisting with arbitration process; assisting/training stewards in grievance filing and processing
- Act as co-chief negotiator during collective bargaining; assist in tasks associated with negotiations
- Membership Service: advise members with resolving work-related problems
- Act as resource and advisor to local executive and assist in carrying out of its duties
- Assist with the production of Local publications
- Assist in planning and implementation of union campaigns and mobilisation
- Act as liaison between other campus groups and labour organisations
CUPE 3902 is an equal-opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals without discrimination. We are committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, accommodations which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner are available on request. Information relating to accommodations will be addressed confidentially.
CUPE 3902 is a unionised employer with a competitive wage and benefit package. This position is salaried and pays $82,294.07/annum, with a contracted raise upon completion of the probationary period.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume as a single .pdf file by 5:00pm, 20 September 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The .pdf should be titled in the following format: "Surname_GivenName_staffrep application". Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
We thank all applicants, but only those considered for the position will be contacted. Interviews will be held in the first two weeks of October.