The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is the largest and fastest growing Union in North America with over 2.1 million members. SEIU-West is the second largest SEIU Local in Canada. Our 13,000 members work in healthcare, education, community-based organizations, day care, retirement facilities, municipalities and light-industrial plants across the province.
Department: Contract Bargaining & Enforcement (Saskatoon location)
FTE: Full Time. Two (2) positions.
Status: Temporary – up to one year.
Salary information: The salary range is $78,070.18 to $90,219.85 per annum (Field Staff 3).
Essential Nature of the Work: Reporting to the Director of Contract Bargaining & Enforcement, the Union Representative provides comprehensive advice, support and assistance in all aspects of contract interpretation and enforcement, and represents the interests of SEIU-West members. The incumbent will work closely with members in their workplaces, and engage members to become active in local union programs and initiatives such as collective bargaining, grievance handling, political action, member education, organizing and communication.
- a minimum of two years of demonstrated previous experience in labour relations or as a labour activist in a unionized work environment;
- knowledge of provincial labour legislation and the ability to interpret collective agreements;
- ability to function co-operatively and collaboratively with SEIU-West staff and members, and exercise good judgment while managing shifting priorities;
- a motivated self-starter able to work effectively with a minimum of supervision;
- ability to educate leaders, stewards and members on managing workplace issues, political and community action, and effective communication;
- excellent group and interpersonal communication and management skills;
- excellent research, organizational, analytical and problem solving skills;
- proficiency in computer use;
- ability to work long and irregular hours, as required; and
- valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle; travel will be required.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary, are governed by the collective agreement between SEIU-West and USW Local 5917. Please apply no later than 5:00 p.m. August 31, 2020:
Director of Contract Bargaining & Enforcement
#200 – 747 46th Street West
Saskatoon, SK S7L 6A1