Posting Date: October 24, 2019
Closing Date: November 7, 2019
Salary Level 11: $37.63- $44.30 per hour
(Hiring for one position but location of either Regina/Saskatoon/Prince Albert will be determined on the basis of preferred candidate)
The Saskatchewan Government and General Employees’ Union (SGEU) is “a membership driven, democratic union that strives for healthy productive work environments as we provide quality public services and representation for all interest groups.” We value respect, learning, cooperation, dignity, equality, justice and diversity. Headquartered in Regina, the SGEU has offices in Saskatoon and Prince Albert where qualified and competent staff provide a wide range of services to over 21,000 members.
The SGEU has developed its own Long Term Disability Plan with the primary responsibility to ensure that the membership is provided with income protection and/or services to those members who are disabled by illness or injury.
The Vocational Rehabilitation Counsellors work with a variety of stakeholders to provide a proactive multi-disciplinary approach to help disabled individuals to return to meaningful and productive employment.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PRIMARY FUNCTIONS:
The following are the key accountabilities and primary functions of the position. Other duties and tasks may be assigned.
1. Case Load Management
· Assess Functional Abilities
· Identify vocational rehabilitations needs, skill, abilities interest and aptitudes;
· Develop a comprehensive, realistic and efficient return to work plan;
2. Development and Delivery of Vocational Rehabilitation Plans
· Identify significant barriers; and
· Develop creative and effective plans based on individual circumstances.
3. Provide on-going support and Counselling
· Monitor and evaluate progress relative to goals;
· Deliver individualized counseling to assist individuals to adjust to the psychosocial effect of their disability;
4. Negotiate Workplace accommodations and Return to Work Agreements
· Lead multi-disciplinary case conferences;
· Advocate on behalf of the plan members;
· Liase with case manager in relation to rehab file;
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor degree in the social sciences (i.e. BSW) and at least three years’ experience in the field of vocational rehabilitation, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
·Thorough knowledge of public and private rehabilitation programs
·Experience working with relevant programs and legislation (Workers’ Compensation, Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan, Retirement Plans, and Saskatchewan Government Insurance)
·Strong leadership skills;
·Advocacy, negotiation and problem solving skills;
·Sound and unbiased judgment;
·Strong analytical and evaluation skills,
·Excellent communication skills – verbal and written;
·Excellent computer skills.
·Exceptional time management and organizational skills to effectively and proactively manage a caseload of approx. 30- 60 files.
CONDITIONS OF WORK:
This position may be headquartered in Regina, Saskatoon or Prince Albert depending on selection of preferred candidate. Some travel will be required. This position is designated as field, working 144 hours in a four-week averaging period. All other terms and conditions are subject to the collective bargaining agreement between SGEU and USW Local 9841.
Please forward your résumé along with a cover letter to:
1011 Devonshire Drive N. Regina, SK S4X 2X4
SGEU is committed to employment equity objectives, and we invite applications from all qualified individuals.
All applicants are requested to describe in their application where they have gained their knowledge, skills and abilities and how their experience relates to the position. This information will be used to screen applications. Please quote the posting number(s) for which you are wishing to be considered. USW Local 9841 qualified candidates will be given first consideration.
Only Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.