POSTING No. CSU-1806T
Applications are invited for the temporary position of Senior Officer (New Media) to work in the Communications Branch of the National Services Department, at the National Office located in Ottawa, Ontario. This assignment will be effective immediately and is expected to continue beyond 12 months.
Under the direction of the Director, Communications Branch, the Senior Officer (New Media) will be responsible for coordinating the daily content and maintenance of CUPE’s web site, the development of communications strategies employing electronic media and other related duties intended to communicate CUPE’s policies, objectives and perspectives to members, the media and the public.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Work with a multi-departmental team implementing general policies, as developed by the union, for the content and operational management of CUPE’s website and web related activities.
- Contribute to the broader work of the Communications Branch in developing and implementing communications strategies and preparing timely communications materials for presentation on CUPE’s web site and in other forms.
- Ensure the design, presentation and contents of the web site, contribute to the union’s mandate and objectives.
- Work with Communications staff and other branches and departments to ensure the information on the web site is up to date, relevant and easily accessible.
- Work with Communications staff and others to take full advantage of new media to improve our communications with members, staff and the public.
- In collaboration with other branches and departments, contribute to CUPE’s efforts to successfully use new media and the internet and intranet for information sharing and membership mobilization including on-line campaigning.
- Provide expert advice to CUPE leaders and staff on issues, strategies and techniques related to new media.
- A university degree in journalism or three-year college diploma in communications or equivalent education plus practical experience;
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and quickly;
- Excellent editing and proofing skills;
- Extensive experience in creating online content and editing for the web;
- Journalistic and communications experience and familiarity with media operations;
- Experience working with a range of social media platforms and content management systems in a union or non-governmental organization;
- Understanding of electronic political action methodologies including campaign planning, development and on-line implementation;
- Previous extensive responsibility for implementing electronic information applications within a communications environment;
- Familiarity with web design, HTML, Active Server Pages, Quark Express. InDesign, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe ImageReady, image editing, graphic design, video, interactive media and Flash animation programs, also with Google Analytics and other web monitoring and analysis tools;
- Familiarity with information architecture and web usability;
- Understanding of trade union principles and community organizing techniques;
- Ability to work in teams to meet short term and long-term goals with an enthusiasm for web technology;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to read, write and speak in English;
- Ability to read, write and speak in French would be an asset.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT as set out in the collective agreement between CUPE and the Canadian Staff Union, National Office component.
WEEKLY SALARY RANGE: $1,972.04 to $ 2035.96
Persons interested should send their application, with an updated copy of their résumé, to my office at email@example.com with a copy to the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than November 30, 2018.
As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, CUPE encourages applications from qualified members of the five designated groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people and LOBUQI (lesbians, gays, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, queer and intersex people). Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please indicate on your cover letter that you saw this job posting at the CALM Job Board.