Website SEIU Healthcare
Administrative Assistant – SEIU Healthcare
POSITION: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (PART-TIME)
SEIU Healthcare is a union of more than 60,000 members who are frontline healthcare workers in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and homecare agencies in communities throughout Ontario. We advocate with our members by launching progressive member driven programs, adapting best practices, and encouraging new and innovative ideas. We strive to create a society where workers are valued and rewarded for their work. As a result, thriving workers have a greater opportunity to participate and lead in building healthy communities. We provide a strong voice through collective bargaining, labour relations, and political action to ensure frontline workers are heard and respected when decisions about healthcare are being made.
We are looking for individuals with a desire to amplify the voice of workers. If you are passionate about labour and social justice, share our values, and want to work toward changing the lives of workers, then a career with SEIU Healthcare is for you!
For more information, visit www.seiuhealthcare.ca.
The successful applicant will promote the values, principles, and services of the SEIU by providing general clerical and administrative support to assigned staff of the organization. The position will be responsible for drafting, distributing, and filing various forms of correspondence as well as updating and utilizing the organization’s database for various administrative tasks. The position is also responsible for oversight of a regional office including acting as key holder for the office.
The position holder will report to the Administration Manager and work in close coordination with Union Reps, finance, and others. This position is part-time and based at our Ottawa Regional Office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Draft, edit, proofread, and finalize correspondence including forms, memos, letters, collective agreements, statements, memorandum of settlement, memorandums of understandings, memorandums of agreements and other documents from notes, email, messages, and files
- Respond to telephone, in person or electronic inquires and/or forward to the appropriate person
- Arrange for courier pick up and deliveries
- Provide all postal requirements and ordering of supplies and equipment
- Provide general information to members
- Prepare monthly expense reports for assigned employees
- Photocopy and collate documents for distribution, mailing and filing
- Maintain contact lists in database system
- Forward changes in member status to appropriate person
- Maintain, prepare, enter and update of electronic grievance log on database
- Maintain, create, and update leave of absence requests on database and reconciling all expenses related to these events
- Scheduling of all types of meetings and any requirements associated, i.e. hotels and catering
- Prepare meeting notices and support arrangements of meeting dates with assigned staff
- Maintain and prepare reports and documents from manual or electronic files, mailing lists and database as required
- Process incoming and outgoing mail, manually or electronically for assigned staff
- Send and receive various correspondence, messages and documents using fax machine or electronic mail
- Maintain records, correspondence and files of units as assigned
- Process assigned Member Database Service tickets (ie. collective agreements/member information/WSIB/retirement
- Clean and maintain office
- Sort, process and verify applications, receipts, expenditures, forms and other documents
- Act as key holder for the office
- Take minutes at assigned meetings
- Track, record and submit expenditures from allotted Petty Cash
- Travel arrangements, LOA’s and Members expenses
- Reconciliation of invoices
- Other duties as assigned.
At SEIU Healthcare, we understand that the best people do not always have the same access to education, and while post-secondary education is always preferred, we want to make sure nothing stands in the way of finding the right person.
- Minimum 1 year directly related experience, preferably in a labour union environment.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel and Word).
- Proficient in other languages like French, Tagalog, and/or Mandarin is an asset
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Must be able to adapt, think quickly, and work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent writing, and verbal skills
- Strong conflict resolution skills and the ability to deal with tense situations.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Time management skills
- Building and maintaining trust relationships with all stakeholders.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS / ENVIRONMENT
- Repetitive tasks requiring sustained concentration in researching and responding to inquiries.
- Dealing with different personalities and members in challenging situations
- Remain in the seated position for long periods of time
- Using a computer for long periods of time
- Lifting and moving supplies and materials up to 25lbs
HOW TO APPLY
Written applications (Resume and Suitability Letter) that detail your qualifications and experience should be submitted on our career portal by 4.30pm on October 30, 2021.
Salary and other terms and conditions are in accordance with the clerical staff collective agreement. Please note that the Employer reserves the right to transfer or assign staff anywhere within the SEIU Local 1 Canada jurisdiction.
SEIU Healthcare thanks all applicants for their interest. We are committed to diversity in our workplace and encourage applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources. Please note that only individuals who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.