Website SEIU Healthcare
Brand Journalist – SEIU-Healthcare
POSITION: BRAND JOURNALIST, COMMUNICATIONS
LOCATION: RICHMOND HILL
SEIU Healthcare is a union of more than 60,000 members who are frontline healthcare workers in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and homecare agencies in communities throughout Ontario. We advocate with our members by launching progressive member driven programs, adapting best practices, and encouraging new and innovative ideas. We strive to create a society where workers are valued and rewarded for their work. As a result, thriving workers have a greater opportunity to participate and lead in building healthy communities. We provide a strong voice through collective bargaining, labour relations, and political action to ensure frontline workers are heard and respected when decisions about healthcare are being made.
We are looking for individuals with a desire to amplify the voice of workers. If you are passionate about labour and social justice, share our values, and want to work toward changing the lives of workers, then a career with SEIU Healthcare is for you!
For more information, visit www.seiuhealthcare.ca.
The successful applicant will promote the values, principles, and services of the SEIU by working closely with the Head of Strategic Communications and the rest of the creative team in the development and delivery of an effective integrated communications strategy across the entire organization that elevates the brand and profile of SEIU Healthcare. They take projects from ideation to completion and are an expert at creating content and stories that captures our brand identity, captivates stakeholders, and helps our membership fall in love with their union.
The position holder will report to the Head of Strategic Communications, and work in close coordination with the Member Service Centre, Union Reps, Clerical Staff, Finance, management team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with the Head of Strategic Communications and the rest of the creative team to help establish, evolve and execute standards for the voice and tone of our SEIU Healthcare brand.
- Adopts and understands our brand persona as a means to research, write, and edit content that speaks to a variety of target audiences and helps mobilize them into action.
- Understands how to develop an authentic voice and unique tone for each demographic and touchpoint.
- Participates in campaign and project ideation, serving internal and external stakeholder needs while upholding content quality.
- Conceptualizes and creates engaging content for all channels and collateral excluding digital and social media.
- Exhibits empathy for the needs of our membership and captures insights to develop targeted content that speaks directly to particular audiences, and positions the organization in evolving and compelling ways.
- Develops an in-depth knowledge of the organization, its programs/services and provides content assistance where required.
- Actively partners and collaborates with internal stakeholders to gather the necessary internal information to translate ideas into effective content that is consistent across the entire organization.
- Proactively takes ownership of content changes and requests that require follow-up in terms of rewrites, and makes in-depth inquiries into the legal implications, etc.
- Remains current across all media and channels to provide insightful perspectives on trends, innovations, and the competitive landscape to assist in creating an integrated communications strategy that ensures that content is relevant at all times.
- Understands and communicates the value proposition of SEIU Healthcare clearly and succinctly.
- Develops innovative recommendations and solutions for releasing content.
- Produces relevant and meaningful storytelling that best represents our brand and the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
At SEIU Healthcare, we understand that the best people do not always have the same access to education, and while post-secondary education is always preferred, we want to make sure nothing stands in the way of finding the right person.
- Preferably, 5+ years’ experience in copywriting and/or content development, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Excellent portfolio/writing samples that demonstrate the necessary range, breadth, and depth of voice and tone.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in tailoring key messages to fit targeted audiences, particularly the ability to communicate difficult campaign messages in a positive or negative manner to motivate audiences to a desired action or position.
- Experience with the union movement or other grassroots advocacy campaigns highly desirable.
- Ability to travel anywhere within the jurisdiction of SEIU including the United States and Puerto Rico. Frequent travel by automobile is required.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice for working families.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of corporate communications and public relations within a business-to-business communications industry.
- Strong organization and time management skills that enable them to prioritize and manage a high volume of detailed work with conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills to facilitate routine and accelerated work requests.
- Press and media relations skills with demonstrated ability to gain a broad audience for campaign messages.
- A positive and professional team player that works well under pressure and is flexible and responsible.
- Continuously strives to increase knowledge of local policies and procedures, as well as a robust understanding of the labor movement.
- A superior level of comfort with a range of voice, tone, and style needs from professional to playful and everything in between.
- Resourceful and can solve problems in a creative and efficient manner
- The ability to work well independently, while maintaining excellent collaboration skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel), and online communications tools (WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedln, YouTube, etc.)
- Punctual, accurate, meticulous, and reliable.
- Courteous manners with the public.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Political awareness and an understanding of the political landscape of the jurisdiction of SEIU Healthcare and the correlation between politics and the interests of the membership of SEIU Healthcare.
- An understanding of current events and issues relevant to SEIU Healthcare and the broader labour movement.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS / ENVIRONMENT
- Long and irregular hours including evenings and weekends. Work hours may vary to meet the needs of the operation.
- The nature of the work requires the Brand Journalist to be exposed to a variety of different situations that can include a varied degree of emotion and conflict. They are expected to be able navigate, adapt and resolve these situations in order to meet the objectives of the organization.
- Field work duties may include frequent contact with individuals in both in public and personal settings often alone in private residences
- Dealing with different personalities and members in challenging situations
- Remain in the seated position for long periods of time
- Using a computer for long periods of time
HOW TO APPLY
Written applications (Resume and Suitability Letter) that detail your qualifications and experience should be submitted on our career portal by 4.30pm on October 30, 2021.
Salary and other terms and conditions are in accordance with the field staff collective agreement. Please note that the Employer reserves the right to transfer or assign staff anywhere within the SEIU Local 1 Canada jurisdiction.
SEIU Healthcare thanks all applicants for their interest. We are committed to diversity in our workplace and encourage applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources. Please note that only individuals who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.