Website CUPE 474
Cupe Local 474 is hiring a Business Agent. This position will require the chosen candidate to provide member representation at:
- Return to work meetings with awareness of duty to accommodate legislation.
- Discipline meetings with knowledge of Arbitration Trends in Alberta, as well as have the knowledge to provide members information in regards to rights, obligations and conduct in the workplace.
- Investigation meetings.
- Joint committee meetings with any of the 6 CUPE 474 Employers.
The chosen candidate will:
- Work with Grievance Committee providing training and support, preparing grievance documents and investigating violations of the collective agreements.
- Work with Grievance Committee to provide training towards complete knowledge and understanding of all Local 474 Collective Agreements, labour law, the Labour Code, and labour standards.
- Work with all Bargaining Units Negotiating Committees in their collective bargaining process.
- Work with the Treasurer to provide training and support facilitating member approved disbursements of the member’s funds.
- Assist with maintaining proper financial documentation and records.
- Provide members information and support with Workers Compensation Board claims and appeals.
- Provide members information and support with Alberta School Employee Benefits claims and appeals.
- Attend training, conventions, and conferences as directed to facilitate the ability to represent members.
- Be present at Executive Officers meetings with voice but no vote
- Perform clerical duties when required, for example; answering telephone inquiries, Canada Post mail distribution, filing documents and letters, and crafting of professional letters for membership and the Union.
Desired attributes and qualifications: Leadership, dedication, integrity, independent work skills, excellent verbal and written skills, complete knowledge and understanding of all Local 474 Collective Agreements, knowledge of labour law, knowledge of Edmonton Public Schools, Operation Friendship Senior Society, Salvation Army Edmonton Centre of Hope, Public Interest Alberta, Friends of Medicare and Alberta Workers Health Centre policies as well as thorough knowledge of Employment Standards, OHS regulations, Personal Information and Protection Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Alberta Human Rights Act and Labour Relation Code. Ability to work with Microsoft Word and Excel is desired.
Desired Education: CUPE Steward Learning Series or equivalent, Financial Officers Training, Duty to Accommodate, Bargaining, WCB Advocacy.
- This will be a one year term position from July 1 to June 30 of each year.
- There will be a review and option of renewal of the position by the Executive Officers of CUPE 474 before April 30 of each year.
- The hours of work shall be from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM from Monday to Friday.
- Wages will be $43.70 per hour (at Grade 4 step 4 of the EPS Exempt non-Management Salary Grid) with Vacation and Sick Leave Accrual, benefits and increases in accordance with EPSB Collective Agreement.
- There will be a monthly travel allowance paid of up to $300 to the Business Agent in recognition of the need to travel and meet members off site.
- There will be no overtime associated with this position
- Out of pocket expenses and perdiems (with the exception of in-town mileage) will be paid in accordance with CUPE Local 474 Bylaws
Send resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Attention: Business Agent by 4 PM Friday July 30, 2021. Candidates selected for an interview will be notified
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com