Website Canada Employment & Immigration Union (CEIU). Syndicat de l'Emploi et de l'Immigration du Canada (SEIC)
Application deadline: May 26, 2023
Employment Type: 24-month term with the possibility of becoming indeterminate
Title of Position: Administrative Assistant, Ontario Regional Union Office (RUO)
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Linguistic Profile: Bilingual preferred
Salary: $74,958 to $81,063 plus $1,000 bilingualism bonus
Area of Competition:
1. CEIU employees.
2. Employees of the PSAC and its Components.
3. Members of COPE Local 225.
4. Members of CEIU (including Life Members).
5. General public.
– Please note that while applicants from other regions are welcome to apply, they would assume the cost and responsibility of relocation if they were successful in this process. Any costs incurred by the candidates to attend the interview will be at their own expense.
– In keeping with the Collective Agreement between CEIU and COPE, Local 225, preference shall first be given to qualified applicants who are employees of the CEIU, followed by employees of the PSAC and its Components, followed by members of the bargaining unit who do not work for CEIU, followed by members of CEIU, and subsequently to the public.
The CEIU as an Employment Equity employer encourages applications from equity group members. CEIU is committed to the hiring of qualified candidates from the following equity groups as defined by CEIU/COPE: women, racially visible, First Nations, Métis, Inuit, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2+.
Purpose of the Position:
As part of the Ontario Regional Union Office (RUO) team, the Administrative Assistant provides comprehensive administrative services that enable the Regional Union Office to fulfill its role in a timely and credible manner. Under the direction of the Director of Representation & Labour Relations, they maintain the administrative aspects of the RUO and carry out a wide variety of administrative, secretarial and clerical responsibilities to ensure efficient operation of the RUO and CEIU.
Reporting to the Director of Representation & Labour Relations, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
· Receiving all grievances and complaints and creating a file in a database.
· Maintaining filing system and maintaining BF system as required
· Checking that all pertinent sections are completed and correcting any discrepancies or requesting additional information by contacting the local steward concerned or the grievor
· Setting up systems to process mass or special group grievances, retrieving proper background material for case presentation or correspondence for national union representative(s)
· Providing up-to-date information as required to CEIU national office regarding grievances, complaints and adjudications
· Vetting phone and email inquiries (from general inbox) from all locals and assigning to NURs
· Ensuring the RUO has an up-to-date list of Local Balloting Chairpersons.
· Coordinating distribution of election material to Locals, as required
· Receiving returned ballots on behalf of Regional Elections Chairperson as required; may assist in their verification as required
· Mailing out reports on results for the Regional Elections Chairperson, as required
· Researching, costs and recommending purchase of appropriate office equipment and furniture
· Maintaining inventory and ensuring the efficient operation of office equipment, etc.
· Arranging the move and/or reorganization of the RUO, if required, by obtaining estimates, providing quotes for approval; recommending, arranging for disconnection / reconnection of services, assisting with packing and unpacking of office files, material and equipment
· Fulfilling property management requests of tenants when required, contacting them for repairs and or building issues
· Preparing outgoing mail; taking special delivery and registered letters to post office on occasion; packaging small parcels for mailing and processing regular, massive mailings
· Maintaining maintenance of machine; using priority post / Xpresspost, courier when necessary
· Obtaining costs for hotel and facilities and travelling to and from such meetings and making bookings on basis of approved budget
· Checking calculations on expenses for annual presidents’ conference, district and special meetings, training courses, arranged by vice-president(s) / national union representative(s), when requested/required
· Performing administrative functions including minute taking at conferences, meetings and events when requested and approved
· Copying, collating, stapling, dispatching necessary material for courses, conferences, meeting and events to ensure material is available
· Contacting members regarding cancellations and/or confirmation of attendance
· As requested, may assist with other national or regional conferences, meetings and events
· Assisting NVPs in preparing and distributing communications for locals and/or regional councils
· Preparing and compiling resolutions for conferences and conventions as requested
· Answering and screening telephone calls, providing non-technical information to authorized persons
· Meeting visitors
· Making appointments
· Performing other office functions as required
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing including the ability to relay information in a clear/concise manner.
· Three to five years’ experience in an administrative support role.
· One to three years’ experience in a similar capacity.
· High school diploma.
· Excellent time management skills, including planning, prioritizing and multitasking to meet multiple deadlines.
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work courteously and cooperatively with management, members and other stakeholders.
· Experience with some of the following computer systems including Windows, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), UnionWare, Adobe Acrobat and scanner software.
· Ability to work independently, taking initiative as required and as part of a team.
· Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and exercise sound judgment.
· Knowledge of the overall structure of CEIU and PSAC.
· Experience working in a unionized environment would be an asset.
· Experience with a variety of office equipment including photocopier, fax machine, postage meter, multi-line phone system, phone headsets, Polycom conference phones, scanners and building security systems.
· Lifting of up to 20 lbs; items include banker and paper boxes, pamphlets, printers, laptops and fax machines.
· Travel is required as needed, both regionally and nationally.
Applicants should send a cover letter (no more than 2 pages) and their resume (no more than 3 pages) detailing how their work experience and qualifications relate to this position as this will provide the basis for interview selection.
Conditions and benefits, excluding pay rates, as negotiated between the Canada Employment & Immigration Union and COPE will apply.
Please send your resume and cover letter in confidence to Jane-Ann Graham by May 26, 2023, at 4:00 p.m. (EST) to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all interested candidates, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com