Website Canada Employment & Immigration Union (CEIU). Syndicat de l'Emploi et de l'Immigration du Canada (SEIC)
Application deadline: March 8, 2023
Employment Type: Indeterminate position
Title of Position: Assistant to the Director of Finance and Administration
Location: National Office
Linguistic Profile: Bilingual preferred
Salary: $90,459 to $97,842 plus $1,000 bilingualism bonus
Area of Competition:
1. CEIU employees.
2. Employees of the PSAC and its Components.
3. Members of COPE Local 225.
4. Members of CEIU (including Life Members).
5. General public.
– Please note that while applicants from other regions are welcome to apply, they would assume the cost and responsibility of relocation if they were successful in this process. Any costs incurred by the candidates to attend the interview will be at their own expense.
– In keeping with the Collective Agreement between CEIU and COPE, Local 225, preference shall first be given to qualified applicants who are employees of the CEIU, followed by employees of the PSAC and its Components, followed by members of the bargaining unit who do not work for CEIU, followed by members of CEIU, and subsequently to the public.
The CEIU as an Employment Equity employer encourages applications from equity group members. CEIU is committed to the hiring of qualified candidates from the following equity groups as defined by CEIU/COPE: women, racially visible, First Nations, Métis, Inuit, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2+.
Purpose of the Position:
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the Assistant to the Director of Finance and Administration’s primary responsibilities are to ensure the CEIU locals and regions are compliant with all aspects relating to financial reporting and compliance with by-laws, regulations and policies that govern the organization.
In addition to providing support in the areas of finance and administration, this role also provides administrative support in the areas of procurement for the National Office and the maintenance of insurance policies at all levels.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
Reviewing Locals’ financial statements
Providing support and guidance for reporting requirements; reviewing all documents from Locals to ensure compliance to By-laws. Responding to queries regarding obligations
Providing support to Local executives on an ongoing basis
Monitoring and ensuring compliance of regulations and other mandated obligations
Maintaining the corporate records for all Locals
Writing and sending correspondence informing Locals of any discrepancies in compliance
Releasing funds to Locals (quarterly) based on accepted financial statements
Reviewing and recreating Local financial statements based on information provided in order to verify any potential discrepancies flagged when there is a change in local executive or on an as-needed basis
Conducting procurement for National office; obtaining quotes; sourcing vendors to ensure competitive pricing
Coordinating printing of all materials (business cards, letterhead, envelopes, flags, flyers etc.)
Ensuring branded material is in compliance to CEIU’s brand.
Coordinating the administration of parking and building passes
Liaising with PSAC to maintain CEIU email addresses distribution list and current employee listing
Liaising with building management for various office/staff needs.
Other duties as required
Producing monthly membership report for the NE
Generating monthly 5X report to the regions
Quarterly membership reports to the locals
Rand to Full processing of membership cards
Inputting transfer requests
Reviewing monthly 7X report from PSAC
Creating dues rate chart for locals
Processing dues rate changes for locals
Answering membership questions from members
Translating membership dues remissions to Locals and Regions in SAGE system on a monthly basis (SC2, SC2 pending and SC3).
Processing payments/dues release
Processing/coding vendor invoices and cheque/EFT payments.
Processing online government remittances.
Verifying BMO account, printing statements and verifying cashed/uncashed cheque enquiries.
Reconciling AMEX BTA and MC accounts
Keeping record of Union Leave for members
Preparing monthly/yearly analysis to balance various GL accounts
· Monthly journal entries.
· Recording and processing the payments for CEIU suppliers.
· Preparing monthly/yearly analysis for general ledger accounts.
· Providing guidance and training to Local Executives in completing a balanced financial statement and meeting mandated obligations.
Assistance with Finance Committee as required
· Minimum 3-year college diploma (accounting or finance concentration)
· 2-3 years of experience in a similar capacity
· Knowledge of SAGE accounting software and general accounting principles, accounts payables
· Knowledge of programs and systems including UnionWare, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, Internet Explorer/Firefox, EFT (payment/banking software)
· Knowledge of CEIU bylaws and regulations
· Bilingual imperative, English/French
· Effective written and verbal communication skills in both official languages (French and English)
· Ability to work with, obtain and relay moderately complex information.
· Ability of focused mental concentration
· Strong computer skills and ability to operate general office equipment including photocopier, postal meter, phones, teleconference equipment, fax, calculator
Applicants should send a cover letter (no more than 2 pages) and their resume (no more than 3 pages) detailing how their work experience and qualifications relate to this position as this will provide the basis for interview selection.
Conditions and benefits, excluding pay rates, as negotiated between the Canada Employment & Immigration Union and COPE will apply.
Please send your resume and cover letter in confidence to Jane-Ann Graham by March 8, 2023, at 4:00 p.m. (EST) to the following email: email@example.com.
We thank all interested candidates, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org