British Columbia Nurses' Union
The BC Nurses’ Union has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Communications Officer working from its Burnaby head office. The BCNU is one of the largest health care unions, providing service and advocacy for over 48,000 members, with over 170 employees.
Along with a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and an established pension plan, the organization offers a central, modern office and a dynamic and growth culture.
Responsible for BCNU’s digital communications media in collaboration with the Communications team. Develops and oversees the creation of editorial and storytelling narratives, both repurposed and original, for various BCNU communications channels, including social media, eNews, Update magazine, advertising, and the website. May perform a broad range of duties related to campaigns and events, promotions, and communications planning for various BCNU projects.
Assists with the formulation and implementation of communications strategies and plans for the BCNU.
- Contributes to the overall department goal of keeping union leadership, members and staff informed of current issues; contributes to the department’s creativity, brand adherence, risk management, efficiency, and accomplishment of broad goals and policies identified by the strategic plan.
- Oversees and self-produces video, audio, podcasts, and creative technology products for BCNU. This includes hands-on recording, editing, and creating various digital platform applications.
- Identifies issues relevant to BCNU members to be included in union communications. Researches, produces, and edits content on issues relevant to members. Prepares materials and arranges for the production of various membership communications and internal information materials related to union policies, programs and activities.
- Gathers and distributes electronic news and social media clippings. Maintains background, photography, and other communication files.
- Manages digital outreach and communications activities by scheduling content (text, graphics, video, podcasting, and other multimedia elements), strategically through the appropriate channels to promote BCNU and our strategic priorities.
- Monitors BCNU social media sites.
Assists with the planning of campaigns and organizing stewards and members around BCNU issues.
- Participates in department planning of membership and media campaigns; prepares and contributes to materials related to union campaigns including the development of online campaign strategies.
- Collaborates with the department Coordinator in writing project specifications for major advertising campaigns, sending out bids, and working with external vendors to manage production schedules and advise on content.
- Supports the implementation of strategies for social media use in order to build engagement and interactions which support the public relations and campaigns priorities of the Union. This includes monitoring and managing postings and content on Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media platforms in accordance with BCNU’s social media policy.
Assists with activities intended to inform the general public, union members and others of the BCNU’s policies, objectives and functions.
- Assists in the development and completion of video and digital productions such as, screencasts, webinars, podcasts, and animation.
- Drives content and engagement across multiple platforms and formats for both internal and external audiences.
- Assists with the arrangement of news conferences and media interviews with elected representatives; participates in briefings with government officials and media representatives; and may assist BCNU spokespersons in dealing with the media.
- Takes photographs for publications and news conferences and is responsible for maintaining equipment; works with internal video team and may organize and supervise video production crews and shoots of professional photographers.
- Collaborates with other team members in the design and creation of content calendars and plans for different social media and digital platforms in conjunction with other departments.
- Designs and leads media campaigns that engage and activate target audiences based on BCNU’s strategic plan.
- Provides measurement, analysis and reporting to ensure BCNU’s social media is being utilized most effectively and stays up to date on current best practices, tools, and social media tactics.
Assists in the planning and implementation of seminars, conferences, conventions and special events.
- Participates in the preparation of materials for and planning union conventions, seminars and other special events and coordinates information and arrangements for media coverage.
- Assists in the development and presentation of training programs on communications for stewards and members.
- Provides work direction to assigned administrative staff.
- Participates in the efficient and cooperative use of resources and personnel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- College or university education in an approved Social Sciences, Journalism or Communications program, and/or Nursing program including or supplemented by courses in communication techniques or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive and progressive experience (3 – 5 years) in public relations and/or communication services, the coordination of publications and assistance in the planning and implementation of campaigns.
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital communications applications, social media platforms and management tools, video storyboarding, editing and production, and emerging communications software and technologies
- Demonstrated ability to research, write and edit for various purposes, including digital publications and social media.
Strong organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple assignments and tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a challenging and collaborative work environment.
- Ability to participate in the efficient and cooperative use of resources and personnel.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to utilize and implement member consultation and participation models (BCNU’s member-centric model).
- Demonstrated excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills which enable the incumbent to present and explain materials, liaise with diverse personnel and deal with sensitive issues.
- A thorough understanding of and commitment to trade union philosophy. Knowledge of nurses’ employment issues and the general environmental conditions of nursing is an asset.
- Ability to travel through the province and carry a valid driver’s license.
Apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com