Website Canadian Freelance Union
The CFU Executive team is seeking a part-time (20 hours per week) coordinator to assist with the coordination and operations of the union. The coordinator supports the CFU executive, manages members’ issues and inquiries, and takes on projects related to freelancing.
This position is a remote work position and can be located anywhere in Canada.
The Canadian Freelance Union (CFU) is Canada’s largest freelancing union, representing hundreds of members in all regions of Canada. We seek to build the capacity of freelancers to demand their rights, access stable and steady work, and bring freelancers together to break through the isolation that is built into our industries.
The successful candidate will have experience working as a freelancer in a communications and/or activist capacity. They will also have experience in self-directed work and remote work. Ideally, the successful candidate will understand the contemporary issues with freelancing in Canada and have ideas about how CFU can build capacity to improve the lives of communications freelancers in Canada.
Assist with financial administration:
- Work with the president and treasurer to oversee the smooth operation of the CFU’s finances.
- Submit receipts and undertake other financial tasks as required.
- Coordinate the week-to-week operations of the Canadian Freelance Union and support the CFU executive board.
- Attend online board meetings to provide reports Organize and assist with CFU events such as the online general meetings, workshops, and meetups.
Membership support and advocacy:
- Follow up with members’ inquiries, track membership requests, and suggestions, and liaise with appropriate CFU representative(s).
- Support Unifor organizing efforts and work with appropriate Unifor staff as directed by the CFU executive.
- Assist with researching and drafting statements on issues of interest and concern to freelance workers in the media sector.
- Communicate with members about their membership status, upcoming events, etc.
- Lead and assist with CFU committees, CFU campaigns, and membership development initiatives.
- Support members with press passes and other CFU benefits.
Organizing support and campaigns:
- To help build the membership base of the CFU.
- To work towards targets for recruitment, in conjunction with the national organizing department, and to regularly report on progress.
- To visit spaces where freelancers work (cafes, shared office spaces, digital forums, etc.) whenever possible to organize unorganized freelancers who work in these spaces.
- To identify existing groups, formal or informal associations of freelancers to arrange meetings and presentations, especially in virtual spaces.
- To set up and have conversations with individual freelancers.
- To work with the CFU executive and the other organizers to phone members who have lapsed membership and encourage renewals.
- Maintain website such as posting approved minutes, events, and general statements on the CFU website.
- Responsible for social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
Other tasks as requested from time to time.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Membership in the CFU or another union at the point of hire
- Good knowledge of the labour movement
- Experience in social movement organizing
- Good knowledge of freelance work in the media sector
- Experience with membership management databases, content management systems (such as Nation Builder or WordPress), and other digital tools
- Self-starter and the ability to work alone and remotely
- Comfort with online technology
- Capacity to communicate in French
This position is a remote-work position, for an average of 20 hours per week. The salary is $568.42 per week. Candidates are expected to have access to a home office where they can work comfortably, and use their own equipment (computer, headphones, etc.)
We encourage applications from diverse candidates. Members of the CFU are particularly encouraged to apply and will be given priority (you can take out a membership any time!).
Please send all applications to email@example.com and include a cover letter that explains how you imagine freelance activism and advocacy in Canada should look. Applications are due by June 5, 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org