Website Alberta Federation of Labour
Position: Director of Government Relations and Political Action (Term position to cover parental leave)
Posting Closes: Open until filled
Start Date: May 10, 2023
About the AFL
For more than 100 years, unions all over Alberta have worked together under the umbrella of the Alberta Federation of Labour.
The AFL currently has 28 member unions representing more than 170,000 workers in a wide range of occupations all over the province.
Through research, advocacy, lobbying and direct action, the Federation has improved working conditions, protected human rights, and helped make Alberta a better place to live, work, and play.
The AFL seeks a Director of Government Relations and Political Action to develop, recommend and implement strategies and plans for legislation, lobbying, elections, and other political action to achieve the goals of the AFL including managing and performing all aspects of the AFL Political Action Policy.
We are looking for someone who can think critically and strategically and can function both independently and as part of a team. Ideal candidates have the following skills:
- Knowledge of and experience in the labour movement and progressive social movements.
- Working knowledge of provincial legislative process and government structures.
- The ability to analyze and effectively communicate the opportunities and challenges presented in the current political environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Adequate research and communication skills to be able to assist with preparation of reports, publications, and other materials in response to various legislative issues and strategic campaigns.
- Ability to write press releases and policy briefs when called upon to do so.
- Ability to collaborate with the Officers, other team members, and Affiliates on efforts to organize and mobilize workers and allies.
- Ability to work well with a broad range of people and entities.
- Ability to plan, prepare and provide education to affiliate members.
- Ability to manage social media campaigns when called upon to do so.
- Motivation and drive to excel in this position.
- Will oversee and work closely with the Project Coordinator, to ensure project objectives and reporting needs are being met consistent with the workplan.
The Director of Government Relations and Political Action will report to the President, serve as a member of our executive staff, and interact with our affiliate unions and partners.
Requirements and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have a degree in a related field and several years’ experience in political and community activism, or have an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. A commitment to the goals and objectives of the trade union movement is essential and must be demonstrated.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a member of Unifor 445. A competitive salary and benefits are attached pursuant to the collective agreement.
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter and the names of references to:
Alberta Federation of Labour
Human Resources Committee
c/o Karen Kuprys,
Subject: HR: Director of Government Relations and Political Action Job Application
Note: Only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
The AFL is committed to considering applicants who identify as part of an equity group including ethnically diverse, Indigenous, LGBTQ+, women, young workers, and workers with disabilities. We urge members within an equity group, experienced activists, organizers, and labour representatives of all backgrounds to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.afl.org.