Website SEIU Healthcare
SEIU Healthcare is a union of more than 60,000 members who are frontline healthcare workers in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and homecare agencies in communities throughout Ontario. We advocate with our members by launching progressive member driven programs, adapting best practices, and encouraging new and innovative ideas. We strive to create a society where workers are valued and rewarded for their work. As a result, thriving workers have a greater opportunity to participate and lead in building healthy communities. We provide a strong voice through collective bargaining, labour relations, and political action to ensure frontline workers are heard and respected when decisions about healthcare are being made.
We are looking for individuals with a desire to amplify the voice of workers. If you are passionate about labour and social justice, share our values, and want to work toward changing the lives of workers, then a career with SEIU Healthcare is for you! For more information, visit www.seiuhealthcare.ca.
The creative team at SEIU Healthcare is a small but carefully assembled group of experts from a wide range of educational backgrounds, settings and professional experiences. Working closely with the rest of the creative team, and other internal stakeholders, the Events Coordinator plays an integral role in the development and delivery of an effective integrated communications strategy across the entire organization that elevates the brand and profile of SEIU Healthcare.
As an experienced event professional, they are responsible for the strategic development and execution of all organizational events (including virtual), tradeshows, conferences, and other external opportunities. This includes working closely with the Director of Strategic Communications to ensure that all events align with organizational messaging and integrated campaigns. They will not only manage the logistics and budget for each event but will have a deep understanding of the role that each play in the integrated communications strategy. They will also be able to drive interrelated activities and lead the internal team assigned to each event to maximize the impact on the organization. In addition to events, this role will serve as a protocol officer for meetings at the SEIU Healthcare Headquarters.
This position is full-time working at our Head Office in Richmond Hill, Ontario.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works closely with the Director of Strategic Communications to develop scalable event strategies, leverage best practices and processes, and propose initiatives that anticipate and reflect the changing needs of the organization.
- Partners with internal stakeholders to define event objectives, schedules, required resources and measures of success for all events.
- Develops and presents proposals to senior managers and other internal stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Conducts site visits as necessary for client conference and event locations, prepares RFPs for event services, oversees negotiations, and participates in the decision-making and recommendation process.
- Negotiates and executes contracts/agreements with external event sites, hotels, swag vendors, speakers, transportation and audio visual companies, and other ancillary services for all events.
- Works with the rest of the Creative Team on the development of effective event promotion strategies that include inbound and outbound marketing communications tactics and social media.
- Runs and/or supports virtual meetings, events, and conferences using platforms such as, but not limited to, Zoom, Facebook Live, Microsoft Teams, and Ring Central when required
- Coordinates all relevant vendor and staff resources on-site to ensure flawless execution of events. Monitors activities to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants, and resolution of any problems that arise.
- Leads and directs the internal staff assigned to each event and provides close coordination with internal support teams (e.g., audio/visual, travel, facilities) and other cross-functional departments.
- Works with vendors to source, negotiate pricing and order promotional items / swag for all SEIU Healthcare union initiatives, including campaigns, initiatives, events, and regular member giveaways.
- Develops and executes internal protocol processes as they related to external stakeholder meetings at the SEIU Healthcare Headquarters.
- Documents and continuously improves all event and protocol related processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is a bargaining unit role, and while there are no direct supervisory duties, the Event Coordinator will lead a team of internal staff that are assigned to each event. They may also have a role in the workflow of the creative team as it relates to events.
At SEIU Healthcare, we understand that the best people do not always have the same access and opportunities to education, and while post-secondary education is always preferred, we want to make sure nothing stands in the way of finding the right person.
- 5+ years managing and marketing events or programs with a proven ability to deliver complex events and programs.
- 2+ years in planning, managing, and executing virtual events.
- Experience with the union movement or other grassroots advocacy campaigns highly desirable.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated ability to see events and projects through from inception to production.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate contracts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with the executive management team, internal staff, and outside vendors.
- Ability to lead a team of internal staff to execute multiple events with competing priorities.
- Strong understanding of event strategy, operations, and integrated event marketing.
- Ability to create program goals, messaging, communications, and overall event plans.
- Experience in running virtual events on platforms such as, but not limited to, Zoom and Facebook Live.
- Exceptional program, project, and time management skills – highly organized, detail focused, results-driven, accountable with the ability to handle stress and last-minute urgent requests.
- Excellent budgeting and vendor management skills.
- Experience managing booth properties, swag vendors, printing vendors, tradeshow management companies, etc.
- Customer service orientated with the willingness to assist and to solve problems is necessary.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS / ENVIRONMENT
- Includes travelling to event locations specific to each program as assigned.
- Can include field work that may include prolonged exposure to the seasonal climates of the various jurisdictions where they may be assigned.
- Office work can include prolonged periods of sitting at a workstation and certain repetitive movements associated with such work.
- Infrequent exposure to the physical and mental strains related to travel throughout the jurisdiction of SEIU including the United States and Puerto Rico.
- May be subject to the emotional and mental strains that accompany campaign work which can have an impact on physical wellbeing.
- Whether in the field or office, should be expected to be able to lift and move campaign equipment and material not in excess of 50lbs.
- Maintain valid driver’s license and car.
Written applications that detail your qualifications and experience should be submitted via our career portal.
Salary and other terms and conditions are in accordance with the field staff collective agreement. Please note that the Employer reserves the right to transfer or assign staff anywhere within the SEIU Local 1 Canada jurisdiction.
In keeping with the Collective Agreement, preference and consideration shall first be given to qualified applicants who are employees of SEIU Healthcare and members of the field staff collective agreement.
WHY SEIU HEALTHCARE?
At SEIU Healthcare, you will find a dynamic and inclusive environment where employees are valued and rewarded for their work. Here are a few things that set us apart:
- Inclusive workplace culture
- Excellent health, dental and insurance benefits to meet the diverse needs of our employees
- Generous vacation and sick leave benefits, inclusive supplemental unemployment benefits
- Fully sponsored employer pension plan
- Investment in employee growth — personal and professional development options
- Working towards a common goal by making a real difference in the lives of people
SEIU Healthcare thanks all applicants for their interest. We are committed to diversity in our workplace and encourage applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources. Please note that only individuals who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.