Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Group/Grade: Bargaining Unit/Officer Grade
Rate: $60,764.08 (start)
Date: October 28, 2022
Founded in 1973, the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) is a leading health-care union representing more than 68,000 registered nurses and health-care professionals and 18,000 nursing student affiliates working in Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics and industry. ONA is committed to the advancement of the social, economic and general welfare of its members providing labour relations services that include representation of members to ensure their rights under the collective agreement are protected and negotiating the best possible terms and conditions of employment. ONA advocates for the highest standards of health care for all Ontarians. Looking to the future, ONA will continue to provide proactive strategies to raise the awareness of the value (including economic and patient benefits) of RNs with all stakeholders.
ONA is seeking to hire a Financial Accountant to join our Toronto office. The position reports to the Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis, and works within the boundaries of ONA’s governing and administrative policies, the Vision and Strategic Outcomes, this position is accountable for ensuring that all assigned accounting functions are performed efficiently and accurately.
This is what else you can expect from this dynamic role:
- Supporting the 60 Locals maintain their Treasury, bookkeeping and payroll reporting functions, including following up with the Ministry of Finance and CRA with payroll submissions, reconciliations and resolutions of issues
- Payment of payroll taxes to various government agencies, including verifying and maintaining copies of payroll forms and information in Sage 50 system
- Accountable for the year end preparation of T4 forms through the Sage 50 system for member payroll
- Developing, improving and delivering new Treasurer and annual Treasurer workshops for online learning and in-person training throughout Ontario
- Assisting Locals with other financial and educational training on an ad-hoc basis to support Treasurers with their budgeting, analysis, reporting and governance responsibilities
- Preparing expenditure reimbursements, payments and monthly dues to members, staff, vendors and Locals in both Concur and Sage 300, including all tracking schedules of payments for annual reconciliations
- Develop and implement improved financial tracking tools and templates using Excel to improve the data flow between finance and other organizational departments such as Dues and Membership, while ensuring data quality and accuracy
- Providing backup support to treasurers in preparing monthly financial statements and reconciliations on an as-needed basis
- In instances where a Local is put into administration, taking on the full-scope financial reporting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll processing, reconciliations, financial statement preparation and the year-end financial audit
- Supporting Treasurers with inquires related to their Financial Statement Audit
- Monitoring and providing timely responses to Treasurer questions that are submitted through the SimplyHelp email account
- Identifying areas of concern or improvement that need to be escalated to management or the VP of Finance
- Actively looks to find improvements to training materials, presentation templates and processes that will benefit the Treasurers in meeting their governance, accountability and reporting responsibilities
- Preparation of the member salary replacement forms for payment, including verifying and maintaining copies of payroll forms and information in Sage 50
- Providing back up coverage of various accounting functions
- Monthly analysis of balance sheet accounts
- Accountable, in conjunction with the Manager, for preparing special cost analysis and financial projects as required
- Providing assistance to the Manager in the preparation and review of related reports
- Providing assistance with year-end audit requirements
- Preparing necessary journal entries required in the reconciliation process
- Accountable for other special assignments and ad-hoc analysis as required
- Actively participating as a team member on the Accounting Team to ensure that organizational accountabilities are met
- The successful candidate must be able to travel, possess a valid driver’s license and have access to an automobile for business use
What we are looking for:
- Post-Secondary Education in Business Administration, Accounting or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in all aspects of accounting (GL, A/R, A/P)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working with financial statements and reports required
- Strong skillset in all Microsoft Office products, namely Word and Excel required
- Sage 50 and Sage 300 knowledge is an asset
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Self-starter and takes initiative to improve current processes
- Concur knowledge is an asset
- Familiar with Canadian Accounting and Auditing Standards
- Customer Service Experience
Please note that this is an in-office position. The successful candidate must be willing to work in-office.
All Interested candidates may apply via ONA Jobs by 4:30 p.m. on November 11, 2022.
The Ontario Nurses’ Association is committed to employment and pay equity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from equity groups including individuals of Indigenous descent, racialized individuals, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources.
Thank you for your interest in joining us. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.ca.