Website Ontario Nurses' Association
Labour Relations Officer – WSIB Appeals Specialist- ONA
- Conduct WSIB appeals from the intent to appeal, through the investigation of the issues, writing submissions, and performing oral hearings, up to and including Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT).
- Effective case management which includes performing quality merit assessments, the identification of issues in dispute, early intervention strategies and opportunities, address competing priorities among files, maintain timelines, and advance files in a timely manner.
- Provide strategic advice to members regarding their appeal.
- Identify and communicate trends observed in workplace injuries among ONA members – as well as the appeals process – in the areas of health and safety, return to work and labour relations to the appropriate teams to ensure members’ rights are protected.
- Keep abreast of any WSIB/WSIAT and Ontario Human Rights Code legislative and policy changes that impact ONA members’ appeals.
- Achieve ONA’s position and maintain the collective and individual rights of members throughout the course of the appeals work.
- Identify risks and opportunities related to ONA achieving its goals/mandate.
- Degree or diploma in Labour/Industrial Relations (or related field).
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience performing WSIB case work, along with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in adjudication and case/claims management based on interpretation of relevant statutes and principles, preferably in the WSIB environment.
- LL.B/Juris Doctor (J.D.) or Paralegal license (Ontario) is considered an asset.
- A Registered Nurse designation, or other regulated health professional designation, is an asset (or equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in written and oral appeal representation at WSIB (Operations/Appeals Services) and WSIAT.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in interpreting and applying relevant legislation (Labour Relations Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, Ontario Human Rights Code and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act).
- Professional development related to WSIB and other impacting legislation.
- Project Management (PMP) certificate is an asset.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)/Mediation certificate/training is an asset.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.ca.