Job Title: Union Business Representative – Western Canada
LiUNA Local 3000 is a growing health care, industrial and professional union that represents members across Canada. We are currently seeking a Union Business Representative for our Western Region, which includes Alberta and Saskatchewan.
The successful candidate for this position will possess a combination of education, skills, related job and real-life experience and a demonstrated commitment to trade unionism and progressive political change. An understanding of and experience in the health care sector is an advantage, as our members work primarily in that sector.
· Provide service to members of LiUNA LOCAL 3000 and groups of employees that are members or potential members of LiUNA LOCAL 3000 in Western Canadian Region (primarily Alberta and Saskatchewan)
· Counsel members of LiUNA LOCAL 3000 and groups of employees that are members or potential members of LiUNA LOCAL 3000 regarding how to carry out their responsibilities in law and in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws
· Counsel and assist LiUNA LOCAL 3000 members with individual, group or policy grievances, complaints under human rights and labour legislation, applications and appeals for Employment Insurance, Workers’ Compensation, sickness and accident insurance and other welfare or income programs
· Negotiate collective agreements up to and including conciliation
· Administer grievances up to and including mediation/arbitration
· Assist and instruct at LiUNA LOCAL 3000 educational seminars, workshops and presentations
· Research relevant caselaw and trends for grievances and negotiations
· Actively participate in building and maintaining active membership engagement
· Work with the staff and members of LiUNA Local 3000 to attract and sustain new members and bargaining units
This role is hybrid. The incumbent will be expected to maintain a home-based office and will be provided with the appropriate supports to do so. It is also expected that the successful candidate will meet in person with members and employers as appropriate. The union’s head office is in Burlington, Ontario the incumbent may be required to attend at that office as necessary for occasional National Meetings or learning opportunities and may be expected to attend events or meetings in other parts of North America from time to time. Travel, including overnight travel, is an expected requirement. This is a full-time position with the expectation that occasional work on holidays, weekends, or evenings may be required.
· Completion of a professional development program in labour relations or equivalent related experience in worker representation and advocacy (minimum 5 years)
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Experience in the health care sector an asset
· Some experience in administrative duties an asset
· Strong computer skills and familiarity with social media
· Must hold a valid driver’s license and must be insurable at all times
· Must own or have access to a vehicle for business use
· Must have a valid passport and be free to travel
· Must be available to work weekends, evenings and statutory holidays
· Must be bondable under LiUNA LOCAL 3000’s Fidelity Bond
· Must be familiar with all aspects of labour relations and applicable legislation
Seeks and values perspectives
Understands the challenges of providing services in a variety of geographic locations (e.g. remote and urban, different provinces)
Applies critical thinking
Demonstrates active listening
Solves problems respectfully and in a manner consistent with the union’s values
Communicates well and clearly
Possesses good writing skills
Has mastery of various appropriate computer programs
Collaborates with others and shares information
Demonstrates agility and drives positive change and quality membership engagement
Sets direction and inspires others
This position includes an attractive compensation package that includes a competitive salary, excellent pension, vacation, benefits, and car allowance. This is a permanent full-time position. The starting salary range is $72,162 – $95,508 depending on experience.
AS PART OF OUR COMMITMENT TO EMPLOYMENT EQUITY AND DIVERSITY, LiUNA LOCAL 3000 ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM MEMBERS OF EQUITY-SEEKING GROUPS, INCLUDING WOMEN, INDIGENOUS PEOPLE, PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, RACIALIZED PEOPLE AND LGBTQ2S+ PEOPLE
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.
Applicants should submit a resumé, cover letter and a list of two professional and one personal references by email to:
LiUNA Local 3000
Please copy all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com