University of Western Ontario Faculty Association (UWOFA)
JOB TITLE: Member Services Officer
REPORTS TO: UWOFA President
LOCATION: Onsite, London, Ontario
RATE OF PAY: $86,440.77 per year. This pay rate is in accordance with the UPE 2361.2
Collective Agreement (Article 20 and Appendix E).
LENGTH: Limited Term Contract – approximately 4 months.
The University of Western Ontario Faculty Association (UWOFA) is a certified union which represents over 1600 part-time and full-time faculty, librarians and archivists at the University of Western Ontario under two collective agreements. UWOFA’s purpose is to advance the professional interests of faculty and academic librarians and archivists at Western. Located on a beautiful campus in London, Ontario, the University of Western Ontario is a research-intensive university with an international reputation for scholarship, sustainability and the student experience.
A. OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To act as the first point of contact for members, handling member inquiries and managing cases from initiation to resolution regarding matters related to the Collective Agreements, the rights and responsibilities of members, benefits and pension, and all other matters within the purview of the Grievance Committee, Joint Committee, and Negotiation Committees. To provide fulsome administrative, research and logistics and information management support to the UWOFA Executive/Board, Committees, Councils, Working Groups and teams as required, including preparing for collective
bargaining and member education related to the Collective Agreements and the mandate of UWOFA.
B. SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE JOB:
• Provide timely, clarifying, interpretative, application and administrative information to members in support of member education and ensuring adherence to the Collective Agreement.
• Create and deliver value-added education to Librarian and Archivists Stewards Committee, Faculty Representatives Council, members and other UWOFA committees as required for the purpose of building shared understanding of the Collective Agreements and the rights and responsibilities of members.
• Provide timely, proactive and accurate administrative and data support to the Executive/Board, Grievance Committee, Joint Committee, Negotiations Teams and other Committees, as required, including but not limited to: minute taking; managing grievance and arbitration documentation; supporting and advising case officers; updating databases; maintaining lists, waivers, agreements for various Committees; scheduling/logistics; researching and preparing bargaining positions and providing ongoing clerical support for negotiations.
• Develop and maintain professional working relationships with relevant Employer-side counterparts including in the Office of Faculty Relations, Human Resources, Human Rights Office and Employee Wellness to promote information exchange and the timely resolution of member inquiries.
• Responsible for maintaining the highest standards of privacy and confidentiality regarding sensitive information and always conducting oneself with integrity and discretion.
• Any other task, duty or work assignment as directed by the UWOFA Executive or designate that is appropriate for the knowledge, experience, skill and effort required for this role.
C. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILL AND EFFORT KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE
• University Degree in labour relations or related discipline.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in a recent related role in a member driven organization.
• Service provision in a unionized context.
• Labour, employment and human rights law, collective agreement interpretation, grievance handling and drafting legal documents.
• Demonstrated understanding of the collective bargaining process.
• Knowledge of academic unions and academic collective bargaining issues an asset.
• Knowledge of the Ontario higher education sector an asset.
• Ability to understand, interpret and adhere to employment policy and procedure manuals, specifically Collective Agreements.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to actively listen to members and use a spirit of inquiry approach to understand member concerns.
• Demonstrated ability to build trust and rapport with a wide variety of people to be an effective first point of contact for members.
• Solid time management skills with the flexibility to effectively prioritize and adapt.
• High degree of proficiency with relevant technologies and computer software (e.g., spreadsheets,
databases, collaboration tools and word processing) – familiarity with Mobilis would be an asset.
• Takes initiative, is self-directed identifies needs and opportunities and is solution oriented.
• Works effectively and cooperatively as a member of a diverse, multi-disciplinary team in a high-volume office environment subject to tight deadlines and shifting and competing priorities.
• Exercises extreme discretion and good judgement.
• Ensuring adherence to the Collective Agreement at all times.
• Providing effective and timely communications to the President and any appropriate
Committee Chair to ensure that they are fully briefed on any problems or concerns that might arise.
D: WORKING CONDITIONS
The successful incumbent will work in normal office conditions with potential for Remote Work on occasion and as circumstances permit. Mobility to move around a university campus is required from time to time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates, please submit a covering letter (including salary expectations) and a resume to:
email@example.com. Due to the volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position will be posted until filled and the position is to be filled immediately.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, EQUITY AND ACCOMMODATIONS
UWOFA supports an inclusive safe working environment and welcomes and encourages applications from all people. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for specific accommodation requests.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com