(maternity leave replacement from July 2023 to September 2024) National Office, Toronto
Unifor is seeking to hire a temporary National Communications Representative to join our dynamic team in a fast-paced and creative environment. This position is based at the National Office in Toronto, reporting to the Director of Communications. The right candidate has excellent writing skills and can deliver on a variety of communication needs to support collective bargaining, organizing campaigns and membership engagement.
The selected candidate will support and contribute to the goals of the union to advance progressive politics for all working people and defend workers’ rights and human rights.
This is a unionized position with Unifor, and all rights and benefits are outlined in the collective agreement with CNRU.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Write, produce and edit news stories, media releases, videos, backgrounders, campaign flyers, fact sheets, editorials, print, digital advertising,
- Take photographs, Iphone videos and work with freelance videographers to produce high impact videos to support and promote the work of the union,
- Produce and stream events on Facebook Live,
- Provide strategic communications advice and expertise,
- Media relations, including timely responses to media inquiries, coordination of media interviews for Unifor spokespeople and organizing media events,
- Contribute to multiple social media platforms and accounts to ensure high impact and quality content to build member engagement.
- Post-secondary diploma or university degree in a relevant field (i.e. Journalism, Communications, Public Relations) or significant relevant work experience in a trade union or comparable communications role,
- Understanding of, or experience with a trade union, collective bargaining, and labour-based campaigns,
- Proven experience with social media, media relations, and issues management,
- Excellent written, spoken, and interpersonal communication skills,
- Effective time management, organization skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks with similar deadlines without compromising quality or accuracy,
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced deadline driven environment,
- A team player who works well with a diverse group of elected leaders, members national and local staff, and community or labour organizations,
- Must be able to work weekends, flexible hours and travel on short notice.
- Video editing skills an asset,
- Editorial writing experience an asset,
- Proficiency in InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro an asset,
- NationBuilder experience an asset,
- Proficiency in French or other languages an asset.
Interested applicants can forward their resume, including examples of their work, such as writing samples, by sending an email noting the position title in the subject line to email@example.com before 5:00 p.m. on June 9, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit www.unifor.org.