INTERNAL & EXTERNAL POSTING
Bulletin No. 2023-02
National Representative, Social and Graphic Design
Political Action and Communications (PAC)
Internal Posting Deadline: January 30, 2023
External Posting Deadline: February 3, 2023
The Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) is the largest labour organization in Canada, bringing together dozens of national and international unions, provincial and territorial federations of labour and community-based labour councils to represent more than 3 million workers across the country.
Our staff are a team of dynamic professionals dedicated to growing worker power and ensuring every working person has a voice on the job. When you work at the CLC, you’re more than just an individual employee — you’re helping to lead a movement.
The CLC has a vacancy for the position of National Representative, Social and Graphic Design, in the Political Action and Communications department. This position will help to advance the work of a national organization making gains for social and economic justice.
This opportunity will appeal to a dynamic creative communicator eager to work in a fast-paced workplace where they can add expertise to a robust campaigns and communications team. The ideal candidate should have extensive experience crafting graphic content for progressive public engagement.
Under the supervision of the National Director, PAC and in cooperation with the Political Action and Communications team and staff in other departments, the successful candidate will develop and oversee the CLC’s graphic and visual identity. The Representative will also play an integral role as part of the CLC team in executing the organization’s media, member and public relations strategies across all platforms.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Having primary responsibility for in-house design of CLC materials, including:
- graphic design;
- photography and illustrations;
- development and design for e-mail and advertising;
- development and design of web and social media graphics;
- development and design of display materials;
- and design of presentations; and
- skills-based support for design software.
- Assisting with the CLC’s advertising and publicity strategy including social media, radio, television, print and digital advertising;
- Developing creative ideas and suggesting new innovative ways of delivering social content;
- Developing various forms of social media content—text captions, videos, and images—suitable for various social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube;
- Collaborating with other CLC departments and regions to assist with the development of the look and feel of CLC campaigns and events, and to ensure quality and consistency in CLC materials;
- Managing out-of-house print and design contracts to ensure objectives and deadlines are met and that the CLC’s materials have consistent branding, tone, feel, quality and are in line with the CLC’s overall objectives;
- Maintaining a preferred vendors list and productive relationships with printers, graphic designers and other service providers required to assist with the delivery of visual and advertising materials;
- Playing a supporting role in content creation for speeches, media releases, web posts, email and materials produced by the communications department.
The successful candidate will have:
- post-secondary education in communications, design or equivalent work experience;
- expertise in online and social media political advocacy campaigns;
- expertise in graphic design and publishing for online and print materials;
- a sound knowledge of the union movement and ability to work co-operatively with unions and staff;
- the ability to manage multiple tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team, and the ability to exercise tact, discretion and judgement;
- fluency in both official languages is an asset.
This position is based at our Headquarters office in Ottawa, Ontario, with the work being performed via a combination of working remotely and regular in-office presence until further notice.
The starting salary for this position is $95,776.11 annually (plus benefits) under the collective agreement of IAMAW Local Lodge 3111 CULR. This includes generous health, vision, and dental benefits, group life insurance and LTD coverage, pension, as well as a monthly vehicle allowance and coverage for fuel, internet, and cell phone.
Please submit your application to the attention of Lori McCarthy, Director of Human Resources, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, by January 30, 2023, for internal candidates and by February 3, 2023, for external candidates. Please quote Bulletin 2023-02 in your application.
Note: The CLC will complete its internal hiring process prior to proceeding with external candidates. While we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian Labour Congress is an equal opportunity employer. Members of equity seeking groups are encouraged to self-identify. Women, workers of colour, workers with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, two-spirit, intersex and Indigenous workers are encouraged to apply for this position.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com