Website SEIU Healthcare
New Media Specialist – SEIU Healthcare
SEIU Healthcare is a union of more than 60,000 members who are frontline healthcare workers in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and homecare agencies in communities throughout Ontario. We advocate with our members by launching progressive member driven programs, adapting best practices, and encouraging new and innovative ideas. We strive to create a society where workers are valued and rewarded for their work. As a result, thriving workers have a greater opportunity to participate and lead in building healthy communities. We provide a strong voice through collective bargaining, labour relations, and political action to ensure frontline workers are heard and respected when decisions about healthcare are being made.
We are looking for individuals with a desire to amplify the voice of workers. If you are passionate about labour and social justice, share our values, and want to work toward changing the lives of workers, then a career with SEIU Healthcare is for you! For more information, visit www.seiuhealthcare.ca.
The creative team at SEIU Healthcare is a carefully assembled group of experts from a wide range of educational backgrounds, settings and professional experiences. Working closely with the Head of Strategic Communications, the New Media Specialist plays an integral role in the development and delivery of an effective integrated communications strategy across the entire organization that elevates the brand and profile of SEIU Healthcare. The New Media Specialist will use their vast and creative skill set comprised of graphic and web design and multimedia editing to delight our members and external audiences.
This position is full-time working at our Head Office in Richmond Hill, Ontario and reports to the Head of Strategic Communications
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work alongside the Design Strategist to create comprehensive graphic design deliverables, seeing projects through from concept, design, production, and delivery.
- Design and manage templates and plugins for the SEIU Healthcare website which runs off of WordPress.
- Edit Videos and Podcasts for use on SEIU’s various channels include web, social and events. Experience shooting is considered an asset.
- Participate in the ideation process working closely with the rest of the creative team to deliver creative solutions that meet project objectives.
- Works closely with the Head of Strategic Communications and participates in meetings to evaluate and understand the scope and creative design needs for all aspects of the organization.
- Responsible for contributing to creative direction to external teams when applicable.
- Integrates research results into the creative process.
- Bridges the gap between member needs, business viability and feasibility to strategically apply a creative solution process to help the organization meet its objectives.
- Maps out and present end-to-end member experience creative solutions.
- Issued credit cards and is responsible for complying with established financial policies.
- Required to work within budgets established by the Director of Organizing & Communications and/or Head of Strategic Communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
At SEIU Healthcare, we understand that the best people do not always have the same access and opportunities to education, and while post-secondary education is always preferred, we want to make sure nothing stands in the way of finding the right person.
- Preferably, 5+ years’ experience in strategy consulting or related role, in a professional services environment.
- Experience designing for web, with WordPress experience considered an asset.
- Experience in high-level video and audio editing / production skills.
- Experience in moderate-to-advanced graphic design skills.
- Experience being a creative role with the ability to design, edit and direct across a variety of media (print, motion, web) such as After Effects, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Keynote. Additional skills in digital prototyping tools like Sketch and Flinto are a bonus.
- Experience with design thinking methods and comfortable encouraging stakeholders to transform the organization through design and innovation over time.
- Experience applying the principles and practices of user-centered design
- Experience with the union movement or other grassroots advocacy campaigns highly desirable.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated ability to successfully translate project objectives into actionable briefs across disciplines.
- Demonstrated presentation skills with ability to effectively facilitate discussion and instill stakeholder confidence.
- Demonstrated ability to see projects through from inception to production.
- Strong eye for details
- An understanding of social media marketing.
- A passion for innovation and design.
- Political awareness and an understanding of the political landscape of the jurisdiction of SEIU Healthcare and the correlation between politics and the interests of the membership of SEIU Healthcare.
- An understanding of current events and issues relevant to SEIU Healthcare and the broader labour movement.
- Ability to travel anywhere within the jurisdiction of SEIU including the United States and Puerto Rico. Frequent travel by automobile is required.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice for working families.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent writing, and verbal skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Building and maintaining trust relationships with all stakeholders.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS / ENVIRONMENT
- Can include field work that may include prolonged exposure to the seasonal climates of the various jurisdictions where they may be assigned.
- Office work can include prolonged periods of sitting at a workstation and certain repetitive movements associated with such work.
- Infrequent exposure to the physical and mental strains related to travel throughout the jurisdiction of SEIU including the United States and Puerto Rico.
- May be subject to the emotional and mental strains that accompany campaign work which can have an impact on physical wellbeing.
- Whether in the field or office, should be expected to be able to lift and move campaign equipment and material not in excess of 50lbs.
- Maintain valid driver’s license and car.
- Work evenings and weekends. Work hours will vary to meet the needs of the operation.
Written applications that detail your qualifications and experience should be submitted via our career portal.
Salary and other terms and conditions are in accordance with the field staff collective agreement. Please note that the Employer reserves the right to transfer or assign staff anywhere within the SEIU Local 1 Canada jurisdiction.
SEIU Healthcare thanks all applicants for their interest. We are committed to diversity in our workplace and encourage applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources. Please note that only individuals who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you apply to this post because you saw it here, please mention that you saw the notice at the CALM Job Board on your cover letter.
To apply for this job please visit seiuhealthcare.ca.